Fish Id... Tetra?

emfish

HI guys,

I bought some Cory's from my lfs today and I got an added extra. Another fish. I think that it may be a Tetra. Maybe a phantom but I'm not sure.

Just wondering if anybody knows what it is. Obviously I only have 1. So will need to get more if they are compatible with my fish... It might not even be a Tetra. Might be a Barb....

I have harlequins, mollies, guppies and Cory's in all of my tanks... If it's a Barb it may not be suitable for my community set ups....

Emily

BottomDweller

AquaticJ

Its a Tetra, but I can't see it well enough to know exactly which. Could be a Black skirt.

Edit: jinx, you owe me a new fish tank BottomDweller

emfish

Thank you both so much. I thought it was a Tetra from when I first saw it. I'll see if I can get any more. Will it be okay with any similar tetras or will it need to be with the same species?

AquaticJ

Same species is always better.

emfish

Thank you.. I'll wait until he/she is more settled and then post another pic

BottomDweller

You can mix them with white skirt tetras and glo tetras if you want some variety. They will alll school together as they are the exact same fish just different colours.

Dch48

I don't think it's a Black Skirt. The analfin looks to be the wrong shape, wrong color, and wrong size. I don't know what it is though but definitely looks like some kind of Tetra.

BottomDweller

Could you get some more pictures? Maybe with better lighting? It is quite hard to tell.

AquaticJ

Dch48 said:
I don't think it's a Black Skirt. The ventral fin looks to be the wrong shape, wrong color, and wrong size. I don't know what it is though but definitely looks like some kind of Tetra.
I was thinking that too, but I just can’t see it well enough. My next guess would be a flame tetra.

emfish

Yeah I will shortly. Had the light off to let my new fish settle in. I'll go and take one in a min didn't want to stress him out further

Dch48

AquaticJ said:
I was thinking that too, but I just can’t see it well enough. My next guess would be a flame tetra.
It could be a flame with it's color faded from stress.

I'm pretty sure that's what it is. The fin shapes and stripes on the body are correct and it looks like a little red on the analfin.

Seasoldier

Black Tetra

Black Tetra © 2013
“Black Tetra” is the common name for the Gymnocorymbus ternetzi species.

Other Common Names: Black Skirt Tetra, Petticoat Tetra, High-fin Black Skirt Tetra, and Black Widow Tetra.
Adult size: 5-7cm

Looks like a black tetra which hasn't coloured up yet to me.

Dch48

Seasoldier said:
Black Tetra

Black Tetra © 2013
“Black Tetra” is the common name for the Gymnocorymbus ternetzi species.

Other Common Names: Black Skirt Tetra, Petticoat Tetra, High-fin Black Skirt Tetra, and Black Widow Tetra.
Adult size: 5-7cm

Looks like a black tetra which hasn't coloured up yet to me.
Blacks never have any red on the fins and the analfin is the wrong shape. It's a Flame. I'm almost positive.

emfish

Sorry for taking so long to reply. He's very stressed so is hardly staying still. He needs a school of tetras with him. I have him in a QT at the moment with just the Cory's.. he does have a red analfin

BottomDweller

Yeah that's a flame tetra

emfish

BottomDweller thank you for your help!!

Thank you everyone for your help in ID- ing my tetra. I'll go out tomorrow and get him some friends

Seasoldier

Dch48 said:
Blacks never have any red on the fins and the analfin is the wrong shape. It's a Flame. I'm almost positive.
Could be, hard to say from the pics, you may have better eyes than me because I don't see any red in the fin, be interesting to see what it colours up like once it settles.

Just looked at the second batch of pics Dch48 think you nailed it, can definitely see red on this one.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom