Fish ID please - Page 2

Katie993

Any idea what these are? I’m torn between round gobies and a type of sculpin. Found in a small creek in southern Indiana at my parents farm. I’m hoping they’re a type of sculpin because round gobies just get too big and I’ll have to figure out something to do with them. They have some beautiful coloration. It’s just really hard to get a good pic against the sand. Super active and pretty aggressive. I had a few shiners in with them that were caught in the same area but that didn’t work out very well. They have left the darter alone though. I’ve already quarantined, treated for internal parasites, and watched for any other signs of problems for at least a couple months. They took to frozen food right away but I did fling it into the water for the first week or so to make a splash and catch their attention. There’s two and they have slightly different coloration but could be male and female. They stay pretty close together.

Attachments

• 9D785F4E-2A82-4428-A338-08CB0A23457E.jpeg
    9D785F4E-2A82-4428-A338-08CB0A23457E.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 0C64ED71-0372-4630-95DB-BF43C3B4FE73.jpeg
    0C64ED71-0372-4630-95DB-BF43C3B4FE73.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 366CBA13-6309-4C47-BA6B-87CB182C1E8A.jpeg
    366CBA13-6309-4C47-BA6B-87CB182C1E8A.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 8DAC02B6-3756-4C98-A1F7-13479A0C09D2.jpeg
    8DAC02B6-3756-4C98-A1F7-13479A0C09D2.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 53

chromedome52

The photo that shows his throat indicates that the gill membranes are slightly connected across the isthmus, making this a Rainbow Darter, indeed. Also, the second photo appears that he has a naked cheek but scales on the opercle. This can occur in both species, but is more typical of the Rainbow.

Relatively easy to care for. Wait till he colors up in the Spring!

You might want to look into the North American Native Fishes Association, a hobby group that specializes in native fish. There may be more info there about your sculpins, too.

Upvote 0

Katie993

The photo that shows his throat indicates that the gill membranes are slightly connected across the isthmus, making this a Rainbow Darter, indeed. Also, the second photo appears that he has a naked cheek but scales on the opercle. This can occur in both species, but is more typical of the Rainbow.

Relatively easy to care for. Wait till he colors up in the Spring!

You might want to look into the North American Native Fishes Association, a hobby group that specializes in native fish. There may be more info there about your sculpins, too.
Great! I will definitely try to find more info there! He was colored up when he was caught. Very pretty markings!

Upvote 0

Katie993

Well their tank sprung a leak today so they’ll be upgraded sooner than planned. I have them in an 18 gallon tub for now until I decide exactly what their final setup will be.

Upvote 0

Katie993

I still have these guys minus one sculpin. Their filter quit and I lost one. They have a brand new oversized filter and I have them in a very large 25 gallon square tank with a huge footprint. No aggression between the sculpin and the darter at all. They are eating frozen food reliably everyday and I can get them to eat dry food occasionally. They are so fun to watch during feeding. I do have a video but I’m not sure how to post it. The tank is looking kind of bare with just the two of them in there. Is there anything I could add to the tank with them now that they’ve been fully treated for worms and parasites? I have a group of white clouds that I thought about trying but I wanted to check and see if anyone had any suggestions first. It would be awesome if they’d work together. Clear out some tank space for me lol cold water options are so limited.

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

I'd think if the white cloudless were full grown itd be fine. The sculpin only gets 3 inches right?

Upvote 0

Katie993

I'd think if the white cloudless were full grown itd be fine. The sculpin only gets 3 inches right?
Something like that. It’s about 2 1/2-3 right now and hasn’t grown since I’ve had it. I do have another question though now that I’m thinking about it. I have a fairly intense light on their tank. There are hides but I’m still working on the scape. I noticed the other day that the sculpin has an emerald sheen to its eyes (like a beetle shell) kind of like a more nocturnal animal or something that spends most of its time in the dark. Would it be more comfortable if I dim the lights down a bit? It doesn’t seem stressed or anything. Most of the time, it’s out in the open instead of in the hides but I do want to make it comfortable and happy in its home.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

If it has a dimmer functiin that would be great. A lot of fish don't like super bright lights. Thats mostly humans that want them.

Upvote 0

Katie993

If it has a dimmer functiin that would be great. A lot of fish don't like super bright lights. Thats mostly humans that want them.
It does. It’s definitely not a high light tank but probably medium ish. Its such a short tank though (15” tall). I’ll dim it down and see if it makes a difference for him.

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

If it's an led I use tissue paper to dim mine. I had to so my betta stopped seeing his reflection lol

Upvote 0

Katie993

Got a better pic of the sculpin that really shows his green eyes! He’s so cool but definitely not a super active fish lol they are getting sand soon because I’m not sure how well he’ll do on gravel long term since he is a bottom dweller.

Attachments

• B1A9B865-C6CD-4735-A22A-5E563BD00FFB.jpeg
    B1A9B865-C6CD-4735-A22A-5E563BD00FFB.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

richiep

That looks like the British rock goby, I like him

Upvote 0

Katie993

That looks like the British rock goby, I like him
He really darkened up and showed his colors when I moved him onto black substrate. They do look very similar

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Pretty awesome looking fish if you ask me!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
juniperlea
  • Question
Replies
Views
LinasPlantLife
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01