Fish ID in my cichlid pond

cutefishies

hey, i’m new here but have been fishkeeping for a few years, and have been really active the past year or so. I have a 1000gallon built in heated pond in my front yard. I also live in Florida so the water is a constant 75° to 85°. anyway last year I bought about 10 blood parrots (my favorite ❤), 8 jack dempsey, 10 firemouths, 10 convicts, 3 oscars, and there’s also a few angelfish and africans in there. there are even a few large goldfish and schools of minnows. everyone gets along, no problems. there’s plenty of room and plenty of food. recently I’ve noticed this fish hanging out with my blood parrots and I have no idea what kind of fish he is! he has the shape and speckles of a JD, but is a faint orange and black. I’ve never seen anything like him, nor do I remember buying a fish like that. Could a female blood parrot spawn with a JD or another cichlid? or is this something different entirely? can you guys help! he’s a super friendly fish.. he follows me around the pond with the blood parrots waiting to greet me. when i stick my hand in the pond to let the blood parrots *kiss* my hand, he’s always right up front like he wants to try, but i’m scared bc he probably can bite lol. anyway if anyone can help, i’d really appreciate it.

Attachments

• D5EE30C8-E300-4936-997C-2C0BF18B90FE.jpeg
    D5EE30C8-E300-4936-997C-2C0BF18B90FE.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 05780DB4-5E4E-4F0E-80EA-D55AB1B530E8.jpeg
    05780DB4-5E4E-4F0E-80EA-D55AB1B530E8.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 6C22E97B-B6C1-47CE-B98D-E1E12EC3AAFD.jpeg
    6C22E97B-B6C1-47CE-B98D-E1E12EC3AAFD.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 41
  • A103EB46-9BE4-473C-85A8-5D76B01B711F.jpeg
    A103EB46-9BE4-473C-85A8-5D76B01B711F.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 40

SouthAmericanCichlids

Looks like a goldfish or koi.

Upvote 0

GlennO

Difficult looking from above but looks like a juvenile Red Devil or Midas Cichlid.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Are you asking about the black and white one or the red one.

Upvote 0

GlennO

The red ones are Blood Parrots.

Upvote 0

cutefishies

black/ white. he’s surrounded by blood parrots that he hangs with

Upvote 0

chromedome52

Looks to me like a Gold Jack Dempsey. There is such a strain, but I don't know much about it beyond seeing a few photos.

Upvote 0

cutefishies

Looks to me like a Gold Jack Dempsey. There is such a strain, but I don't know much about it beyond seeing a few photos.
that’s exactly what it looks like to me. because of the speckles and fin shapes. the JDs hang around the Blood Parrots so i’m wondering if it’s a cross breed from the two. thanks for answering!

Upvote 0

cutefishies

thanks everyone for your answers. i still have no clue where he came from, but he’s a super friendly fish. he’s not timid at all. i named him Red and whatever he is, he’s a great fish and a fixture at feeding time with the BPs. if anyone else has any ideas, i’d really appreciate it. maybe i can get a better pic of him sideways so you can see his exactly body/fin shape. i know the females BPs can lay eggs so I’m still guessing he’s a cross breed. hopefully someone can clear it up i really appreciate all your input.

Upvote 0

chromedome52

Gold Dempsey is a known strain, so hybrid with the Bloody Parrots is not a likely scenario. Just a stray Gold gene that got into your Dempsey line.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
americanninja
  • Question
  • americanninja
  • Cichlid
Replies
Views
devilson
Replies