Fish ID Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by dallas, Jul 19, 2015.

1. d

dallas New Member Member

Hello. I bought a 65 gallon aquarium off of craigslist. The livestock came with it. I'm trying to find out what kind of fish I have. I am also not entirely sure that the fish are compatible with each other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a tinfoil barb, red zebra cichlid, and a red-tailed shark

[​IMG]

Not sure what the upper left one is, kenyi cichlid, oscar electric blue cichlid, not sure what the orange one is, tin foil bard, and rosy barb
    [​IMG]

There's also a blood orange parrot.

Here's a listing of the fish: oscar, blood-orange parrot, tin foil barb, 3 rosy barbs, electric blue, orange fish not sure of, and another type of ciclid I'm not sure of. There's two HOB filters in the tank aqua clear 70 and a large tetra whisper. Should I add salt to the water? Is the tank overstocked?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    I'm not really good with ID'ing fish, sorry. But that tank is really overstocked. That Oscar alone is overstocking it. There's no need to add salt to the water. I would rehome some of the fish

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    d

dallas New Member Member

Thank you Brandon. The guy I got it from did not seem to know what he was doing. The tank only the had the tetra filter and no heater. I added the second filter and the heater. Are the african and south american cichlids okay as tank mates.

4. AquaticBrandon

Poor fish. Yeah sorry about that, some of these fish aren't compatible. Hopefully somebody that has more experience with these fish can chime in and help you out. :)

5. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

What i see. Africans you have the red zebra, a kenyi female, and a auratus female. You should mix africans and South americans. I will just rehome all of them and start from ground 0.

6. OP
    OP
    d

dallas New Member Member

Leo, should or should not mix? Any reason to rehome all of them versus some of them?

7. LeoDiaz

I forgot the n,t again you shouldnt mixed them. Ill rehome them cause adding new fish with adult cichlids is really hard to do so is easier starting over again.

8. AquaticBrandon

Yeah, I would just rehome all of the fish and start over with a new stock

9. OP
    OP
    d

dallas New Member Member

Okay, is positing on craigslist and / or the local aquarium club the best way to rehome? What kind of fish would be good to stock?

10. AquaticBrandon

I've had luck rehoming fish on Craigslist. What kind of fish are you looking for? Like do you want a community tank, cichlid tank? Etc

11. LeoDiaz

Yes craiglist is were i rehome my fish on. Just put and ad with the fish your rehoming info.

12. OP
    OP
    d

dallas New Member Member

I personally like schooling and shoaling fish. My wife thinks that since the tank is big, I have a 10 and 20 gallon tanks already, that there should be bigger fish in the tank which I assume means cichlids. The 10 gallon is a shrimp tank with 2 ottos and a bunch of RCS. The 20 gallon has a few different kinds of tetras.

13. OP
    OP
    d

dallas New Member Member

Thank you for the help brandon and leo.

14. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea oscars belong in a 55 gallon minimum tank by themselves as they are quite aggressive...

15. AquaticBrandon

No problem :)

16. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Oscars are not aggressive contrary to popular belief. I'm surprised those mbuna haven't killed it. People confuse feeding response with aggression as with Oscars if it thinks it can eat it, it's certainly going to try.

17. LeoDiaz

No oscars can be agressive my friend has a 125 with 2 oscars almost full grown when out of no were 1 killed the other.

18. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

They're probably conspecific aggressive that's why.

19. LeoDiaz

Might be but seen them not be to friendly to other cichlids.

20. R

Ricey91 New Member Member

You could try your lfs, they might take them. Might even be able to score some cash or store credit for the restock

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice