Fish ID Help

dallas

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello. I bought a 65 gallon aquarium off of craigslist. The livestock came with it. I'm trying to find out what kind of fish I have. I am also not entirely sure that the fish are compatible with each other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a tinfoil barb, red zebra cichlid, and a red-tailed shark

Not sure what the upper left one is, kenyi cichlid, oscar electric blue cichlid, not sure what the orange one is, tin foil bard, and rosy barb

There's also a blood orange parrot.

Here's a listing of the fish: oscar, blood-orange parrot, tin foil barb, 3 rosy barbs, electric blue, orange fish not sure of, and another type of ciclid I'm not sure of. There's two HOB filters in the tank aqua clear 70 and a large tetra whisper. Should I add salt to the water? Is the tank overstocked?

Last edited by a moderator:

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
I'm not really good with ID'ing fish, sorry. But that tank is really overstocked. That Oscar alone is overstocking it. There's no need to add salt to the water. I would rehome some of the fish

dallas

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you Brandon. The guy I got it from did not seem to know what he was doing. The tank only the had the tetra filter and no heater. I added the second filter and the heater. Are the african and south american cichlids okay as tank mates.

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Poor fish. Yeah sorry about that, some of these fish aren't compatible. Hopefully somebody that has more experience with these fish can chime in and help you out.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What i see. Africans you have the red zebra, a kenyi female, and a auratus female. You should mix africans and South americans. I will just rehome all of them and start from ground 0.

dallas

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What i see. Africans you have the red zebra, a kenyi female, and a auratus female. You should mix africans and South americans. I will just rehome all of them and start from ground 0.
Leo, should or should not mix? Any reason to rehome all of them versus some of them?

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Leo, should or should not mix? Any reason to rehome all of them versus some of them?
I forgot the n,t again you shouldnt mixed them. Ill rehome them cause adding new fish with adult cichlids is really hard to do so is easier starting over again.

dallas

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, is positing on craigslist and / or the local aquarium club the best way to rehome? What kind of fish would be good to stock?

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've had luck rehoming fish on Craigslist. What kind of fish are you looking for? Like do you want a community tank, cichlid tank? Etc

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay, is positing on craigslist and / or the local aquarium club the best way to rehome? What kind of fish would be good to stock?
Yes craiglist is were i rehome my fish on. Just put and ad with the fish your rehoming info.

dallas

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I personally like schooling and shoaling fish. My wife thinks that since the tank is big, I have a 10 and 20 gallon tanks already, that there should be bigger fish in the tank which I assume means cichlids. The 10 gallon is a shrimp tank with 2 ottos and a bunch of RCS. The 20 gallon has a few different kinds of tetras.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yea oscars belong in a 55 gallon minimum tank by themselves as they are quite aggressive...

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oscars are not aggressive contrary to popular belief. I'm surprised those mbuna haven't killed it. People confuse feeding response with aggression as with Oscars if it thinks it can eat it, it's certainly going to try.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oscars are not aggressive contrary to popular belief. I'm surprised those mbuna haven't killed it. People confuse feeding response with aggression as with Oscars if it thinks it can eat it, it's certainly going to try.
No oscars can be agressive my friend has a 125 with 2 oscars almost full grown when out of no were 1 killed the other.

Ricey91

Reaction score
You could try your lfs, they might take them. Might even be able to score some cash or store credit for the restock

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom