Fish ID help please. Not sure what this is.

Smoothguitar

Hello- can anyone ID this fish? We’re pretty sure it ate all the snails in the tank.

Attachments

• 39ED7379-7D89-4448-88F9-3A20107B1EBB.jpeg
    39ED7379-7D89-4448-88F9-3A20107B1EBB.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 32

MacZ

That's a young Koi.

chromedome52

Carp/Koi have a subterminal mouth with barbels at the corners. This fish has a terminal mouth and no barbels. It's a Goldfish. But yes, Goldfish do eat snails.

MacZ

Carp/Koi have a subterminal mouth with barbels at the corners. This fish has a terminal mouth and no barbels. It's a Goldfish. But yes, Goldfish do eat snails.
Is that not a barble-stump in the corner of the mouth? I have been zooming in and out for several minutes to make sure.
Admitted, the angle is unfortunate for the mouth position itself. Looked like the typical snout of a Koi.

chromedome52

I see no barbels, they usually stick out. The body shape is also different, small Koi are much more slender than young Goldfish.

jtjgg

i'm not seeing any barbels. and the body shape looks like a common goldfish

MacZ

Memo to self: Only anwer in ID threads, when on the desktop screen, not on the phone screen. :D

Smoothguitar

Wow you guys are awesome!! Thank you. I didn’t want to post my guess but I was thinking it was a baby carp, based on the dorsal fin, but i noticed the missing barbs so I was stumped.
A little background on this fish - my brother got it from a bait shop, it was clearly not a shiner so he took it home and put it in his tank. This is why I thought it might be a carp. He had a major snail problem and now to his surprise they are all gone!
Thank you!
btw, I know it sounds like you’ve mostly settled on goldfish, but I’m going to see if we can get a better picture of the mouth, just to put away any doubts (if any)

SparkyJones

because of where it came from, I'd have said baby carp, but it just looks like a common goldfish with a wild coloration so wherever they are shiner fishing, there's goldfish in there also apparently. people been buying common feeder goldfish for decades and using them for fishing. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple turn up in bait shipments really. He's beefy so it's not a comet, but I think it's just a common feeder goldfish hat got away.

chromedome52

Goldfish are an invasive species, just like carp, in much of the US. But if he was with bait minnows, it should be noted that some goldfish farms also raise bait minnows to sell, but not koi or carp.

Smoothguitar

Ok got some more pictures in case you guys want to have a second look. That first picture was like a week ago, the colors are looking more vibrant. These 2 new ones give a much better view of the mouth.

Attachments

• 2266F6C6-7E74-4E14-ABBB-29AE978550E1.jpeg
    2266F6C6-7E74-4E14-ABBB-29AE978550E1.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 3E0BF844-CE86-4CF2-BF0B-CF37138B112E.jpeg
    3E0BF844-CE86-4CF2-BF0B-CF37138B112E.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 13

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom