Fish id, and has eggs

newbietetra

You must be registered to see images

Hi what is this fish's name?

I bought 4 of these from fish store 2 weeks ago.

Also, this morning, one of them laid abunch of eggs in one corner where theres alot of java moss. It is guarding the eggs. My tank is bare bottom. What can I do?

Thanks!

Turnips

Those look like gold rams to me - they are a variety of dwarf cichlid. They are very similar to German Blue Rams. I have never bred rams so I can not speak from personal experience, however I have heard that they are very protective and territorial once they have laid eggs and protect the fry once they hatch. The babies should eat baby brine shrimp if you are able to hatch some.

MacZ

They ARE German Blue Rams. Just a domestic strain: Balloon gold rams.
They don't get very old due to the body shape bred into them.

Turnips

Interesting!! I didn’t know that they were actually the same, that’s cool

MacZ

You will be surprised when you compare many wild forms with domestic strains of fish species. It's basically as with breeds of dog. They might be only loosely resembling the original.

Turnips

You will be surprised when you compare many wild forms with domestic strains of fish species. It's basically as with breeds of dog. They might be only loosely resembling the original.
That’s so crazy to think about, I’ll definitely look more into that. It makes sense though especially with the easier fish to breed

MacZ

I prefer wild forms, if not even wild caught fish. Domestic strains are my personal bane.

Turnips

I get that, what are some of your favorite wild forms?

MacZ

Many Apistogramma. I can't stand domestic A. macmasteri or A. cacatuoides, but look at the wild forms. Love those. For the latter ask TClare

NearMeBettas

As MacZ said, they are German Blue Rams.

Turnips

Many Apistogramma. I can't stand domestic A. macmasteri or A. cacatuoides, but look at the wild forms. Love those. For the latter ask TClare
Will do! Thanks for all the insight!! I’ve never looked into wild forms of apistos

TClare

I was lucky to get some wild Apistogrammas from Colombia last year, but unlucky in that they all turned out to be males, and I have not seen any more for sale since, except once double red agassizii, which I don't want. When I was much younger I always wanted to keep Apistogrammas, but they were not very easily available then, too expensive and I had the wrong type of water anyway. When I started keeping fish again after a very long break, I was quite disappointed to learn that so many tank bred Apistogramma varieties had become available, and actually shocked at some of the fish for sale now, particularly glofish and anything deformed like the balloon varieties of rams and mollies. I just do not see the appeal in those. Anyway, here are some picture of mine. The agassizii came with the broken dorsal fin, which has never grown back, he must have had a close shave at some point before being caught.

Turnips

I was lucky to get some wild Apistogrammas from Colombia last year, but unlucky in that they all turned out to be males, and I have not seen any more for sale since, except once double red agassizii, which I don't want. When I was much younger I always wanted to keep Apistogrammas, but they were not very easily available then, too expensive and I had the wrong type of water anyway. When I started keeping fish again after a very long break, I was quite disappointed to learn that so many tank bred Apistogramma varieties had become available, and actually shocked at some of the fish for sale now, particularly glofish and anything deformed like the balloon varieties of rams and mollies. I just do not see the appeal in those. Anyway, here are some picture of mine. The agassizii came with the broken dorsal fin, which has never grown back, he must have had a close shave at some point before being caught.
I have never seen those before!! Absolutely gorgeous!! The first one has more blue than I expected. I agree, I personally don’t see the appeal of the ballon bellies or the glofish, especially when the wild forms are so striking. Thanks for sharing, I love these guys! Do you happen to know if the wild form of German blue rams the regular German blue ram or something different?

newbietetra

As MacZ said, they are German Blue Rams.
Do these German Blue ram (balloon golden) dig?

My undergravel filter just arrived. I dont know if i should install it. i read chiclid like to dig up the gravel which ruin the efficiency of undergravel filter.

My undergravel filter just arrived. I dont know if i should install it. i read chiclid like to dig up the gravel which ruin the efficiency of undergravel filter.

MacZ

Normal rams only really dig in sand, but I have little to no experience with that variety.

I also never had an undergravel filter in all the years. That tech went "extinct" here in the 80s.
I have never seen those before!! Absolutely gorgeous!! The first one has more blue than I expected. I agree, I personally don’t see the appeal of the ballon bellies or the glofish, especially when the wild forms are so striking. Thanks for sharing, I love these guys! Do you happen to know if the wild form of German blue rams the regular German blue ram or something different?
How about we move to a different Thread now?

TClare

I don’t have experience with these particular cichlids but I imagine they will dig a little when breeding to make pits where they will put the wrigglers Once the eggs hatch. However, if you have a reasonably thick layer of gravel I doubt whether they would dig deep or extensively enough to affect the efficiency of an undergravel filter.
Normal rams only really dig in sand, but I have little to no experience with that variety.

I also never had an undergravel filter in all the years. That tech went "extinct" here in the 80s.
I have seen them for sale here regularly so some people must still be using them!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ellebrius
Replies
Views
soad32892
Replies
Views
ayeayeron
Replies
Views