Fish Ick Inquiry

HamSnacks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am now dealing with Fish Ick again after everything was going good for so long, didn't quarantine fish from a seller who I've never had issues with in the past.

Now in the past I've always done the heating method, 2 Weeks at 88F, vacuuming substrate every 2-3 days, and water changes. Have always been successful. Only ever lost 3-4 fish in total.
I must have caught this Ick late because it looks pretty bad on some of the fish, but my biggest concern right now, I have lost about 50 Fish, every few hours I check and there are more fish dead, mostly Cardinals and RummyNose, is this normal? Lost a YoYo Loach, and German Ram as well, very disappointing.

Water Perimeters are all good as well, everything 0 and Nitrate at 20ppm.

I guess I'm asking, is this just a severe case of Ick or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have used Kordon Rid Ich Plus with success in the past combined with the other methods the OP is doing.

I dosed the recommended strength every 12 hours.

In my treatments of Ich though, I was fortunate enough to catch it early

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am now dealing with Fish Ick again after everything was going good for so long, didn't quarantine fish from a seller who I've never had issues with in the past.

Now in the past I've always done the heating method, 2 Weeks at 88F, vacuuming substrate every 2-3 days, and water changes. Have always been successful. Only ever lost 3-4 fish in total.
I must have caught this Ick late because it looks pretty bad on some of the fish, but my biggest concern right now, I have lost about 50 Fish, every few hours I check and there are more fish dead, mostly Cardinals and RummyNose, is this normal? Lost a YoYo Loach, and German Ram as well, very disappointing.

Water Perimeters are all good as well, everything 0 and Nitrate at 20ppm.

I guess I'm asking, is this just a severe case of Ick or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks
'Normal' will mean different things, as ich has different strains, and thus virulence and fatality rates will vary from a few hours to a few weeks to not fatal. 2 strains (serovar D) are known to be highly virulent and reproduce up to five times quicker. There's even a type of heat-resistant ich. So yes, it is 'normal' in a way, and you should still treat it as ich.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ich is lethal.

Ich can be treated, but it's common for the disease outbreak to claim some fish.
Tell that to my 7 serpae tetras and 5 black phantom tetras that died from it last month.
It's rarely the ich that kills the fish, rather the then immunocompromised fish contracts a secondary infection that then causes death. That or the combination of the two is too much for the fish to handle.

@HamSnacks i would use the kordon ich meds islandvic mentioned as I've also had success with them.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's rarely the ich that kills the fish, rather the then immunocompromised fish contracts a secondary infection that then causes death. That or the combination of the two is too much for the fish to handle.

@HamSnacks i would use the kordon ich meds islandvic mentioned as I've also had success with them.
Could you give an example or two of an immunocompromised fish as a secondary infection?

HamSnacks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses, very helpful.
Ended up speaking with the Supplier, he admitted that he wasn't too fond of the shape of the RummyNose he sold me and that they were wild caught so they may have been carrying something else?

From what I am seeing, the Cardinals and Rummy definitely have some serious white spots on them, but I am also noticing that some of the fish that are dead seem to have no spots, so maybe it is a secondary infection?
Either way he has said he will make it up to me and that he will give me some Hagen Weco Nox-Ich, which I am hesitant to use due to the amount of corys, loaches, and plecos I have in the tank and they seem to be doing just fine.
Its just the Tetras dying.

So maybe I will do just half the dosage or see if any progress in the next day or two with just the heat.

Thanks again though!

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what I am seeing, the Cardinals and Rummy definitely have some serious white spots on them, but I am also noticing that some of the fish that are dead seem to have no spots, so maybe it is a secondary infection?
Ich will attack the gills. It can kill fish without any visible symptoms.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom