Fish ich?

chikinbiskit

We started a new tank about two weeks ago and got some mollies and platys. Yesterday I noticed this platy (female?) has white spots on her. Her fins are also very small. She has also been hiding in a cave for the last day or so but is still eating. I’m a beginner so I am having a hard time identifying what’s wrong. I snapped these pics when she came out for a moment.

is this ich or something else?59D1DD92-2DB6-463F-962C-F55B3E632AE3.jpeg6774873C-A6A8-40CF-8457-BD50A97DCCA8.jpeg

Best Answer - View Gone's answer

BluMan1914

Well Known
If its Ich your tank has been exposed, and the other fish may have it. Right now it's best to treat the whole tank and not take the Molly out.
I suggest that you look into the heat method to treat it.
I also suggest that you get more opinions on what the disease could be before doing anything.

PenguinTetra38

That definitely looks like ich. She has clamped fins which means she is stressed out. Please fill out this emergency template to give us more info on your situation. You should treat with an ich medication and quarantine her is you can.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
if its ich youll need to treat the whole tank, one on its own getting it after a after a week is very unlikely its already in the tank

erinw347

Well Known
Ich is very contagious so treat the whole tank. You can use heat treatment or a medication.

OP
chikinbiskit

chikinbiskit

chikinbiskit said:
We started a new tank about two weeks ago and got some mollies and platys. Yesterday I noticed this platy (female?) has white spots on her. Her fins are also very small. She has also been hiding in a cave for the last day or so but is still eating. I’m a beginner so I am having a hard time identifying what’s wrong. I snapped these pics when she came out for a moment.

is this ich or something else?59D1DD92-2DB6-463F-962C-F55B3E632AE3.jpeg6774873C-A6A8-40CF-8457-BD50A97DCCA8.jpeg
Looked closer and it seems like the rest of the fish have some but not as bad. Starting medication tonight. Bummer!

Ling313

I’m dealing with ich right now. I medicated the tank with api super ich cure and then did aquarium salt (10 tbsp for 29 gallon tank) and raised the temp to 82. Most recommend 86 degrees but I was afraid of hurting my guppies. So far most of the fishes white spots have disappeared. Just one fish has spots. I plan on doing salt & heat for 2 weeks. Good luck

Gone

Well Known
There are three common methods to treat for ich, (1) medication, (2) salt, or (3) heat of 86 or above.

It's tempting to throw the kitchen sink at it, but any of the treatments creates stress for the fish, but combining methods will not eliminate the parasite any more quickly or more reliably. If you combine methods all you'll do is double or triple the stress, and you might end up killing the fish with the treatment. Depending on your fish, choose one method and stick to it. No matter the method it won't hurt to raise your temperature a couple degrees which will speed up the life cycle.

Some things to keep in mind. For most of its life cycle, ich is invisible. That means once you see white spots, the parasite has infested your tank for several days. Even if some of your fish don't have white spots yet, they will. You need to treat the entire tank. Removing the fish that has white spots won't protect your other fish, they have also been infected.

During treatment if the white spots disappear don't have a false sense of security that you've cured it. Again, the life cycle is mostly invisible. Once the white spots disappear, continue treatment for at least a week or ten days.

Also, don't share nets or vacuums, or anything else between tanks if you have an ich outbreak. It's extremely contagious.

GlennO

Well Known
Assuming that there's no live plants and only platies and mollies this might be a rare occasion where treating with salt might be the preferred option.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom