Fish Hitched A Ride On Plant - What Is This?

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was surprised when I went to rinse the plant and this guy was stuck to it. Any idea what the heck it is? Not sure if I should add it to a tank or try to take it back...

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
looks like it's from the genus Aspredinidae. Not sure on the species, but it should be okay in your aquarium for a while as long as it can't eat any of the fish. It's generally peaceful and doesn't root up the plants too much. They don't get too big, normally topping out at 5 inches rarely.

GirlFriday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It looks like a pleco in the pic showing him from top down. Maybe clown, but you really should identify it because they can get big.
I love mine. I call them the basset hounds of the fish world.

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That was my thought, pleco of some kind. aspredinidae looks like it in pictures too though!

It's a 38 gallon tank that's nearing capacity, but I'm thinking I'll put him in for now and when he gets bigger might have to rehome him. Or add him to a bigger tank.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No way it's a pleco. It's a species of banjo cat from the genus aspredinidae. Every one just calls them banjos cats despite their being multiple species.

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok sounds right. He's tiny now so should be ok, we'll see as he gets older. Never even heard of these guys before, but it looks like he's good with my water parameters so in he will go. Though from what I'm reading I'll probably rarely see him so he might stay for good.

Ok after reading some more it sounds like he might eat my shrimp eventually... I think I'll take him back to the store, however they close before I can get back there. Any idea how I can keep him alive overnight without adding him to my tank?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If this is a quick fix, and you don't have any type of other holding device, take a large fish net. Put a cloths clip on one side of the net holding onto one aquarium side wall. then let the handle rest on the other. then put him in the net. it works for a day or two

Could be a hara, but i know their are a few species of Aspredinidae that have the long fins. The normal species of banjos coming in have the pointed fins, but...i don't know. I really wish i could find a listing of aspredinidae species, instead of just refering to all 40ish species.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's a hara jerdoni, also known as an anchor cat.
Be careful putting them in a net they can get stuck very easily with those front fins.
They are shy and like to hang out on plants. They are a nano type fish, they aren't highly active compared to other cats.

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I called the store and they said it was probably a banjo. I ended up taking it back because I was reading that once they get a bit bigger they will devour all my shrimp and might go after some of the smaller fish. Not a risk I was willing to take! Looks like it could have been a stone catfish too, they might have been wrong about which it was, but better to be safe than sorry. I like my shrimp too much!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
chadcf said:
I called the store and they said it was probably a banjo. I ended up taking it back because I was reading that once they get a bit bigger they will devour all my shrimp and might go after some of the smaller fish. Not a risk I was willing to take! Looks like it could have been a stone catfish too, they might have been wrong about which it was, but better to be safe than sorry. I like my shrimp too much!
Banjo cats are a lot longer at that size, stone cats are small and their mouths are smaller (I have mine with expensive shrimp and no losses, they hang out on the driftwood anubias pretty much all day and most of the night.
Banjos will eat shrimp because they get big enough to do so, however most banjos that are sold are three inches long in store, not the tiny maybe an inch the stone cats are.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom