Fish Hiding A Lot

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone!

I have a fully cycled 10 G planted tank with air stone, with three male guppies and 1 dwarf gourami.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5
Ph around 7 - stable

The issue is that one of my male guppies is hiding.... a lot. There isn’t a LOT of aggression between them. I wouldn’t say there isn’t aggression at all... because I see them sometimes chasing each other - they’re all fairly new to the tank so I’m guessing it has something to do with “establishing a dominance order or something like that”.

Just wanted to know what could make this fish hide so much?

There is no sign of sickness - no clamped or ragged fins, no ick.... so I really don’t know what’s happening.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 10G is pretty small for a dwarf gourami.... the gourami is probably being more agressive as how is in a confined area. He is most likely nipping at your guppies, so I would think they are hiding from him. I hope your guppies aren't sick!

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Every fish has its own different personality. It could just be a shy fish or it may still be stressed out from the move. How long has it been since you put the fish in this tank. Like you said just keep an eye out for aggression as well they may not do it infront of you

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RainBetta said:
A 10G is pretty small for a dwarf gourami.... the gourami is probably being more agressive as how is in a confined area. He is most likely nipping at your guppies, so I would think they are hiding from him. I hope your guppies aren't sick!
My Dwarf Gourami is having a fantastic time in this 10 G tank - he’s very friendly, and does not bully the guppies at all

Tristen said:
Every fish has its own different personality. It could just be a shy fish or it may still be stressed out from the move. How long has it been since you put the fish in this tank. Like you said just keep an eye out for aggression as well they may not do it infront of you
It’s been a little over a week now. I’m currently not working so I have time to watch them - and they really aren’t aggressive.

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
skllkd said:
My Dwarf Gourami is having a fantastic time in this 10 G tank - he’s very friendly, and does not bully the guppies at all
Tristin is right, every fish has its own personality! Some DGs are very aggressive to guppies. Mine was in a 20G and murdered nearly all my guppies...

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
skllkd said:
It’s been a little over a week now. I’m currently not working so I have time to watch them - and they really aren’t aggressive.
Your best bet is stress. Every fish is very stressed when moving especially if you bought it from a store and had to carry it back in a small bag bouncing around. He could still be getting used to the new tank and his new tank mates. I would let it sit for another week and if the fish is still hiding there may be a problem. It’s a very new tank so give it some time to settle.

RainBetta said:
Tristin is right, every fish has its own personality! Some DGs are very aggressive to guppies. Mine was in a 20G and murdered nearly all my guppies...
I currently have one DG and it was actually getting bullied by my plaites and mollies! He started to fade his color and couldn’t handle it so I moved him out. DG are usually only aggressive to conspecifics and are fairly peaceful fish. Sorry to hear about your guppies tho!

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tristen said:
I currently have one DG and it was actually getting bullied by my plaites and mollies! He started to fade his color and couldn’t handle it so I moved him out. DG are usually only aggressive to conspecifics and are fairly peaceful fish. Sorry to hear about your guppies tho!
I used to have platies and swordtails, but had to return them as they were so aggressive. My DG is super friendly. It’s just the male guppies that are trying to establish who’s the boss among them - so yeah it’s probably stressing this particular guppy. I only had 2 (now 3) as I’ve been told that in small group Guppies can quickly become bullies. I’m planning on having a 4th guppy - and with this DG I’ll be at max capacity for this tank. The tank is heavily planted so there are plenty of hiding spots. That’s at least good if they want to avoid each other.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom