Fish head turning black

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Jennifer Bolden, Jul 15, 2015.

1. J

Jennifer Bolden New Member Member

Help possible fungus?

I have had fish for about a year now. They have been doing wonderful and we even were able to save some babies we found swimming around. We do weekly changes and vacuum. We always use water conditioner, as well.

I went on a 3 week vacation and during that time, my well meaning husband went to petsmart and got a sucker fish. (I had read it was a bad idea and could have sworn I told him.)

Now my fish looks like this. I am so upset and feel so bad!! I tried looking up google images to see what it was and nothing looks like it. it is like it has a black scaly helmet on! I think it is a girl, but now sure. I just know I have become attached to these silly fish and I know I will prob lose one or more. Thanks for any help.

We rescue animals all the time, but never thought I would fall in love with fish.

20150715_082513.jpg 20150715_082720.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

3. M

Mantisdreamz New Member Member

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Maybe "mouth fungus"? (Really a type of bacteria)

5. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

When bits of fish go black it's usually down to the damage/death of the nerve endings in that area, that control the colour cells. This of course is part of a larger problem. I don't think there's anything you can do with this one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice