Fish having ick ? Question

1. TankMaster25 Member Member

Hello everybody I was wondering if my fish has "ick." He is a albino male guppy and has a beautiful white pattern on him. Could that be ick? Also he refuses to eat and mover really opens his tail and is always at the top of the tank. Any advice helps thanks. Ps he shares a 10 gallon tank with another guppy 3 neon tetras and 2 black neon tetras.

2. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I don't have any experience with ick, but others who have will be able to help you better if you provide as much information as possible.
    Such as,
    Posting a picture of the fish in question.
    Do you know about the nitrogen cycle and have you cycled your tank?
    What is your water quality and parameters. i.e What is the pH, ammonia? nitrite and nitrate.

Good luck

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Ich looks like salt grains, as Chunk says as much information as you can give & a pic will help try & diagnose the problem if there is one

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Answerable chunks questions and folks will be able to help you. We can't diagnose fish without pictures, unfortunately.

5. TankMaster25 Member Member

Thx for the info but I'm not currently home but I will post a pic tomorrow morning. My tank is fully cycled and the water conditions are great I had them tested yesterday. Also I've had the fish 4 months with other community fish and he has always been fine until now. Is it possible that when I added the other guppy he got stressed or sick?

I actually just went to my lfs and said that the fish symptoms where normal. Thank for your help

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Fish refusing to eat & hanging at the top of the tank is not normal behaviour at all, still take that pic when you can & post it.

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Always take LFS advice with a pinch of salt. Did the LFS see the fish? I would get a second opinion and FL is a great place to do so with many experienced fish keepers. If the behaviour is not normal for your fish, it is not normal behaviour. If he has been acting differently for the past four months, I would question the cause. The white pattern may be a pattern, but the hanging behaviour may be cause for concern. I, personally, would seek further advice.xx

Ninja'd by Coradee!

8. TankMaster25 Member Member

This is my lemon cobra guppy that refuses to eat and is always hiding

Any advice

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I can't see any signs of ich from that pic, is he a new addition, if so how did you acclimatise him?
    Have you a water test kit as it could be a water quality issue?

10. TankMaster25 Member Member

I got him 2 months ago and he was doing fine but he started to act like this for the past week but today he stopped eating. What do I do on really worried for him

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

It doesn't look like Ich. But he doesn't look too well.

Was your tank cycled when you added him? How many other fish did you add at the time? What is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? What temperature and pH is the tank? Have any other fish been added recently and how recently? When was your last water change? Do you have a QT you can move him to? Have you changed your filter/media recently? Have you added or removed anything recently? Do you have an airstone you can put on to increase the oxygen in the tank? Does the filter agitate the water to increase the gaseous exchange and oxygenate your water? Have you tried feeding a 'treat' such as bloodworm? Have you tried target feeding, where you put the food right in front of the guppy? Does he look any different in the past couple of weeks? Have you noticed other fish picking on him? Do you condition your water?

Sorry for all the questions but, the more information the better the advice will be.x

12. TankMaster25 Member Member

When I added him my tank was fully cycled and the water was in perfect conditions, I've had him and 4 others until I added 2 more 2 days ago and they where all getting along

13. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

So your Guppy got sick before the new arrivals right? You shouldn't have added more if you had a sick fish but, that's for another time.

What are your current water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate? What is 'perfect conditions'?x

14. TankMaster25 Member Member

I don't know the water parameters but the guy at pet smart said the water was perfect. Anyway thx for the help guys I put in some aquarium salt in the tank and now he's doing great.

15. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

You really would be best trying to find out what is wrong with him. I'm sorry if I've asked too many questions, I don't mean to sound pushy. It would be best if you asked them for exact numbers or better still bought your own test kit. I would also up your water changes.x

16. TankMaster25 Member Member

I actually 2 days ago ordered my water test kit and I do water changes every week

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

17. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Brilliant. Check it as soon as you can and if you have any questions ask away :) how is your guppy doing today?x

18. TankMaster25 Member Member

Thx for asking my guppy is doing just fine now but I am still going to get him checked out

19. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

good to hear! Is he eating again?x

20. TankMaster25 Member Member

He is starting to eat more but I might just buy some garlic guard to get his appetite up even more