Fish Have Ich

1. L

Lucasalc46 New Member Member

hello all!

My fish have ich and I’m treating them with quick cure. I’m wondering what i need to do because today was my last day of the treatment cycle according to the bottle and ich is still on fish. Should I do a 25 percent water change and keep treatment going, or what?
    Btw there are sensitive fish in the tank like german blue rams

Thanks!

2. OP
    OP
    L

Lucasalc46 New Member Member

Also, the ick seems to be getting worse

3. live4wetsleeves

live4wetsleeves Well Known Member Member

I've always treated ich efficiently by turning the temp up to 84-86° and dosing with salt according to the box. Do not use table salt as it has harmful iodine but buy aquarium salt.

Increase aeration. Increased temperature leads to increased metabolism, which enhances the fish’s immune response but also increases oxygen demand. Oxygen is lower in warmer water, so it is very important to increase surface agitation during the treatment to increase oxygenation. In planted tanks with CO2 injection, the CO2 should be turned off and extra aeration should be provided. Carefully observe your fish, watching for signs that they are not getting enough oxygen. If fish are gasping at the surface, you need to provide more aeration. Aeration can be increased by reducing the water level so the filter return makes more of a waterfall and splash, and/or use an airstone placed close to the surface of the water.
    Do daily partial water changes. 25% daily partial water changes will provide several benefits: It will keep the water very clean, which will help fish cope with the stress of the disease. It will remove some of the trophonts and tomites. It will add oxygen. This author also recommends the use of NovAqua+ to condition the change water. This product is a dechlorinator and has several additional benefits that help fish under stress, including sealing of the wounds caused by the Ich. If the water changes seem to stress the fish, reduce the size and/or frequency of the water changes.
    In a non-planted aquarium with tolerant fish, the addition of Aquarium salt at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 1 gallon of water disrupts the fluid regulation of Ich. Do not add salt crystals directly to tank. Always dissolve salt in a small amount of tank water before adding to tank. This dosage may be repeated every 12 hours for a total of three treatments. When Ich is gone, salt is removed with daily 25% water changes.

4. TheCrazyFishGuy

TheCrazyFishGuy Well Known Member Member

I’ve heard mixed reviews about this method, but what I’ve been told by several people is:
    1. Remove activated carbon from the tank
    2. Raise temperature to 80-82°f for at least 48 hours
    3. Use ich treatment

Another method is to use methelyne blue (I’m not well versed on this one though)

5. live4wetsleeves

6. live4wetsleeves

I've had plenty of experience with ich and I've never lost a fish to it in the 12+ years I've been in the hobby. I unfortunately can't use the salt/temp method now because I have a happy bunch of loaches but I've always used salt and high temperatures to knock out ich in just a few days to a week. Do some IR and decide what you want to do, messing with salt is risky in freshwater but the only time I lost fish to salt was when my dad poured salt in my first aquarium and practically turned it into a marine aquarium without my knowledge. Hope the best for your fish! Hope things clear up for you!

7. TheCrazyFishGuy

TheCrazyFishGuy Well Known Member Member

Dang, I had ich wipe out half a tank in my first month of fish keeping

8. live4wetsleeves

Over all I've gotten lucky and been careful not to get it but if my memory isn't failing me I can't think of any fish that I've lost to ich, every time I've gotten lucky and spotted it before it broke out. Now columnaris, that's a different story, that crap wiped out half my stock about six months ago. Uuuugggghhhh I was not happy.
    And to be honest I probably lost some fish to ich when I was first starting out. Saying I haven't lost any is likely not true. But the salt and temp method has worked absolute wonders for me so I recommend it to anyone struggling to battle ich.

9. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Kordon Rapid Cure had mine under control in a few days. Got it at Walmart.

10. heybrittany

heybrittany Valued Member Member

I'd make sure you took the charcoal out of your filter. That was my mistake but after treating again it cleared right up! Water changes too of course

11. s

spencergarl1 New Member Member

I have clown loaches which are very sensitive to any kind of meds because of them being scaleless

I had gotten ick with them and if you wanna save money I would recommend the heat and wc treatment

Turn your heat up to 86 for two weeks(speeds up the life cycle of the ick)

Daily water changes of 25% and gravel vac everyday for 2 weeks and you will be clear

It’s a lot to do but it’s free
    Good luck