Fish have ich

1. Zackary Initiate Member

Hey guys umm so lately I've notice that my fish have been flicking their bodies on the sand and plants in my aquarium. I dont see any white spots but I know its itch. Anyways i have guppies and platies. I've put some aquarium salt in my tank. Any help would be great, this decease has cause many losses in the past for me and i need some help to prevent anymore before its too late. I have 50+ guppies that were born to day and i dont want them to die. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. PedroThePie Member Member

You can get a UV sterilizer to prevent it from spreading I think. Need confirmation on this, never dealt with ick myself.
    The big brand petstores usually carry stuff that kills ich, but I don't know how effective they are either.
    If you set the tank to 80 degrees it kills ich at its weakest stage, so after a couple of days you'd kill'd them all off by preventing generations too. You can use a quarantine tank if you know you're fish can't handle this while having the main tank warmer, keeping the diseased fish in there maybe.

if you do go to a LFS, look for anything with formalin or malachite green in it. That stuff kills ich, but can be deadly to fish after a while if I recall. Just remove any carbon before treatment, then put it in after you've noticed symptoms gone.

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Scratching can be caused by several things. Since there are no white spots, what makes you so sure it is ich?

4. Zackary Initiate Member

I dont know I assumed that scratching meant having itch. What other explanation is there for their odd behavior? Thanks in advance :)

5. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It could be velvet, bacterial infection or possibly a fungus. And if it is only occasionally, the fish may just have an itch, just like humans

6. Zackary Initiate Member

I think they have velvet what do i do?

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member