Fish have ich

1. Zackary

Zackary Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys umm so lately I've notice that my fish have been flicking their bodies on the sand and plants in my aquarium. I dont see any white spots but I know its itch. Anyways i have guppies and platies. I've put some aquarium salt in my tank. Any help would be great, this decease has cause many losses in the past for me and i need some help to prevent anymore before its too late. I have 50+ guppies that were born to day and i dont want them to die. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. PedroThePie

PedroThePie Member Member

Ratings:
    +4
    You can get a UV sterilizer to prevent it from spreading I think. Need confirmation on this, never dealt with ick myself.
    The big brand petstores usually carry stuff that kills ich, but I don't know how effective they are either.
    If you set the tank to 80 degrees it kills ich at its weakest stage, so after a couple of days you'd kill'd them all off by preventing generations too. You can use a quarantine tank if you know you're fish can't handle this while having the main tank warmer, keeping the diseased fish in there maybe.

if you do go to a LFS, look for anything with formalin or malachite green in it. That stuff kills ich, but can be deadly to fish after a while if I recall. Just remove any carbon before treatment, then put it in after you've noticed symptoms gone.

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,166
    Scratching can be caused by several things. Since there are no white spots, what makes you so sure it is ich?

4. OP
    OP
    Zackary

Zackary Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know I assumed that scratching meant having itch. What other explanation is there for their odd behavior? Thanks in advance :)

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,166
    It could be velvet, bacterial infection or possibly a fungus. And if it is only occasionally, the fish may just have an itch, just like humans

6. OP
    OP
    Zackary

Zackary Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think they have velvet what do i do?

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +271