Fish Have Good Water Quality But Still Sick Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Wobbegong, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Wobbegong

WobbegongWell Known MemberMember

The State that is probably on fire, California
    Ratings:
    +176
    Experience:
    2 years
    So last friday my female rainbowfish dies, one of her gills were red and she was breathing heavily at the surface. https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/worried-about-sick-rainbowfish.398821/ . The other fish in the tank are 5 black ruby barbs, now 4 dwarf neon rainbowfish, one swordtail, one lyre tail killi, and one apistogramma borelli.
    The water quality is fine, no ammonia, no nitrite, and i changed half of the water yesterday so nitrate should not be a problem. The tank is in the upper 70s and water ph is around 6(i think its a but too low for the rainbowfish)
    As for symptoms, my apistogramma has had a lot of tufts and some fin rot, it has had it for the past few days. For the past week my killifish has been very colorless and his gills have been looking a little red, just today i noticed the edges of by barbs fins were grayish white. please help, I was very disappointed last week when no one helped me with my sick rainbowfish and she died

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,573
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It sounds like you might be dealing with one of the less virulent strains of Columnaris. If thats the case any obviously infected fish needs to be removed from the tank. If you have a hospital tank treat with antibiotics. Kanaplex & Furan 2 have been the most recommended. Hope things get better soon.

3. OP
    OP
    Wobbegong

Ratings:
    +176
    Experience:
    2 years
    I feel like it would be easier to treat the whole tank, especially if any of the fish are sick and not showing signs. Affect Kanaplex and Furan 2 filter media, or kill snails?

4. Whitewolf

WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +463
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You cant really kill all the bacteria in a fish tank. Columnaris is part of the normal bacteria flora in water.
    There must be some stress. Also don't let a sick fish live in or die in a tank. That's how they all get sick.
    You mine as well do kanamycin and furan but I usually feed mine antibiotic food. It might kill the filter media, or knock it back aways.

5. OP
    OP
    Wobbegong

Ratings:
    +176
    Experience:
    2 years
    Just a little update, I haven't treated the tank yet but the most of the fish are much better, the only fish that still doesn't look better is the apistogramma, his fins are still a bit beat up and he is swimming a bit awkwardly, I now have Furan 2 but i am a little hesitant to treat the tank because i am worried about the beneficial bacteria.

6. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,573
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Only use meds as a last resort. If you see obvious improvement, save the meds for another day. Good luck.

7. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,437
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Removing any obviously infected fish from tank ,and Also don't let a sick fish live or die in a tank is two people telling you to euthanize any clearly infected fish . A fish dying in a tank and being eaten by others is almost a 100% guaranteed way to transfer issues.
    Step #1 of ' curing ' columnaris is to remove any clearly infected fish . Wish them well as they did not make it .Say bye bye to apisto.
    Now after that you can medicate which everybody has voiced concerns over or feed a medicated food and hope you are correct in last post that other fish are much better .
    On a side note IMO having this issue in such low pH water [often claimed to not be real conducive to growing bacteria] would concern me greatly ?

8. OP
    OP
    Wobbegong

Ratings:
    +176
    Experience:
    2 years
    The apisto sadly died a few weeks ago, I will set up a quarantine tank tomorrow. I am not 100% sure that it is columnaris but it keeps popping back up even thought the water quality is fine.

9. AlyeskaGirl

AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +256
    The pH is very low. Can you provide KH and GH readings? Both from tap and tank.

Become a Fishlore Member