Fish Have Birth...unexpected

1. B

Becknewt24 Member Member

I found a very small platy swimming at the bottom of my tank, which wasn’t exactly planned. I have a 2.5 gallon it can go in, but I’m so confused and have no clue what to do with the offspring, other fry, and things like that. I haven’t the first clue when it come to breeding, so what should I do?

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

do you have males and females together???
    If you do, this one lone fry is only the beginning and you will be overrun quickly.

3. OP
    OP
    B

Becknewt24 Member Member

I do... she doesn’t look that pregant tho so I figured when she got bigger I’d seperate her and deal with her then.

4. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Separate her by putting her in the 2.5? or what? How many do you have and whats the male to female ratio? Just curious.

live bearers have a LOT of babies. I recommend you rehome the females and keep just males. It doesn't sound like you are set up for breeding. And you will be overrun with fry and it will affect your water quality and all that jazz.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Becknewt24 Member Member

Yeah or I was gonna put the baby in there. I honestly have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to breeding, as when I asked for the platy I specifically said male and didn’t realize it till a couple day later. I don’t really want to rehome. This may sound like a bad idea, but I have a 10 gallon with a betta and he’s very layer back, same with the platy. Could they go together. @TexasDomer any idea?

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No, I would not put the betta and the platy together - they are temperature incompatible, behaviorally incompatible (platies can be obnoxious to the slower betta), and a 10 gal isn't big enough to keep a betta with other fish.

I would also rehome the females and just keep the males. You'll be overstocked soon if they have more babies.

7. OP
    OP
    B

Becknewt24 Member Member

I do trust you fully, but even if the betta and platy are the most layed back fish I own?

I mean my tank with platys is at 78 degrees

And I also only have 1 (not sure if that makes a difference)

8. TexasDomer

78 F is a little too high for platies, but any lower is too low for bettas. So yes, even if they're laid back, I would not mix them in a 10 gal tank.

9. OP
    OP
    B

Becknewt24 Member Member

Crap. Not sure what I’ll do if I have to rehome, I’m not the type of person to do that.

10. TexasDomer

Sometimes we have to do things we don't like for the good of our fish. Another alternative is culling fry, but that's a harder thing to do.

11. OP
    OP
    B

Becknewt24 Member Member

Yeah. I’ll do with what to do with her later, do you recommend I put her somewhere separate? My 2.5 has a divider that the fry could get through to escape if she tried to eat them. Also I want to take them to my LFS for store credit.

12. TexasDomer

You'll have to grow the fry out before taking them to your LFS, and you need a bigger tank than a 2.5 gal for that. The 2.5 gal is too small for the female to stay in, too.

13. OP
    OP
    B

Becknewt24 Member Member

Yeah so about that. I think she gave birth while I was at school and he was the lone remaining fry. I’m still not sure tho because her stomach is bigger than it was yesterday. She is back in the 36 and the lone fry is alone in the 2.5. Should I feed it liquid food? And if I can’t find that then crush up flakes?

14. TexasDomer

Crushed up flakes is fine. Do large and frequent water changes to keep water parameters good.

Can you get another tank to raise fry in? Make sure you contact your LFS and make sure they'll take fry from you.

15. OP
    OP
    B

Becknewt24 Member Member

Yeah I’ll probably do a water change once every 1-2 days. And I was just at the store and I don’t know why but I didn’t ask about that but I can call and see.

16. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I would take back the female if it has only been a few days, she will give birth every month as long as she has had contact with a male in the past few months. It sounds like you have her in with a male which means she is pregnant, she likely ate all the other fry which is why she looks big still.
    The safest thing for you is to get her a new home with someone else and keep just your male/s that way you don't suddenly have 30+ fry darting around the tank fouling up the water.