Fish Has White Stuff Help Please

nlm.7100

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a fish with white stuff in it and I already lost one . I’ve had these fish for years now. They’re in a 65 gallon tank. I have a fantail goldfish, calico goldfish, placimos, and a Blackmoore goldfish which is the one that died. When the blackmoore was sick I noticed it to start to hang around the top of the tank but I noticed it too late. It was still alive but only moving a little. I tried to treat it but it died the next 2 days. Now I’m starting to notice my fantail starting to hang around the top too and when I go he’s still pretty active but I know it’s the same thing because he’s getting white stuff too. I’m treating him with API Melafix. Please help I don’t want to lose another one.
IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg
IMG_0664.jpg

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like ich. If you have another tank with no other fish (even if it is to small) remove the infected fish (all fish that are acting weird or have ich) and put them in that tank. Then treat the tank with all the infected fish with some cupermine. Cupermine is a very strong medication that should only be used in the correct fashion and only if the fish is really sick. If you don't have a seperate tank then remove all the filter media from your large tank and dose it with cupermine. Hope this helps!

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tanks of goldfish should always contain salt...usually 1/2 teaspoon per gallon to help stress and keep parasites at bay. Since you have a bad infection already, the dosage should be 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons for at least 10 days. But if you have evaporation and need to top off the tank, do not put salt in the top off water because the salt does not evaporate and you will overdose. Use API aquarium salt if your pet store has it.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, that will help with the infection, but if it is an actual culumnaris I would go over to your local petstore and buy some kanaplex before the other one dies too.

nlm.7100

Valued Member
Reaction score
finnipper59 said:
The tanks of goldfish should always contain salt...usually 1/2 teaspoon per gallon to help stress and keep parasites at bay. Since you have a bad infection already, the dosage should be 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons for at least 10 days. But if you have evaporation and need to top off the tank, do not put salt in the top off water because the salt does not evaporate and you will overdose. Use API aquarium salt if your pet store has it.
Image1525703509.341272.jpg

Do I just put it in or do I have to it in a bag before putting the salt into the tank?

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
Yes, that will help with the infection, but if it is an actual culumnaris I would go over to your local petstore and buy some kanaplex before the other one dies too.
Good idea

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, take some tank water out and dissolve the salt first. And do pick up some kanaplex.
mattgirl said:
Dissolve the salt in some tank water before pouring it in the tank. You don't want your fish swallowing chunks of salt.

nlm.7100

Valued Member
Reaction score
sad news my gold goldfish didn’t make it. It looks like the treatment may have worked though because he no longer had white stuff on his body just his eyes. I’m going to keep treating the tank because my last calico goldfish still has some white but only in his eyes. The salt did help and I couldn’t find kanaplex in any of my LFS. So I’m gonna great with melafix and pimafix.

nlm.7100

Valued Member
Reaction score
sad news my gold goldfish didn’t make it. It looks like the treatment may have worked though because he no longer had white stuff on his body just his eyes. I’m going to keep treating the tank because my last calico goldfish still has some white but only in his eyes. The salt did help and I couldn’t find kanaplex in any of my LFS. So I’m gonna great with melafix and pimafix.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom