Fish Has White / Red Strings On Fin And Body? Question

1. Awaken_Riceball_ Member Member

What disease is this on the emperor tetra? I tried researching, but I cannot find anything that is similar. I took as best of a clear shot as I can.

Thank you for your help!

2d91s7o.jpg

2wh16k1.jpg

2. Savanna Member Member

Those are not strings of anything, they're parasitic worms. Try API general Cure first as it has both worm and protozoan killer in it. If that doesn't work, go to fenbendazole. Unless you want to go straight to fenbendazole. What else is in the tank with them? Also do a 50 percent water change now to try to thin out any eggs or larvae, or even back to back 40 to 50 percent changes

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Coming out of the anus? Looks like camallanus worms to me. Difficult to treat. Levimasole should work as well. @bizaliz3 is going through this right now.

4. Awaken_Riceball_ Member Member

I do have Seachem Paraguard on hand. Will that cure these parasitic worms? I could get API General Cure, but I won't make it to Petsmart in time to get it before they close.

Currently in the tank, I have

x11 Emperor Tetras
    x2 Angelfish
    x2 Apistogramma Agassizii
    x1 Clown Pleco

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Camallanus are difficult to treat. I don't think Paraguard will cut it.

6. Awaken_Riceball_ Member Member

Thank you TexasDomer! I have no choice but to do an express order on Amazon for

Thomas Laboratories Fish Bendazole Fenbendazole Powder, 250mg, 3 Packets

I have meds on hand, but I did not know of other meds to kill worms. I didn't even know the name of the diease until now until you and Savanna mentioned it :)

7. Savanna Member Member

Yeah, levimisole or fenbendazole will work for camallanus worms. API General Cure is mebendazole and praziquantel. Praziquantel will also take care of them usually. However the other two are for more reliably effective. That said, at some point you should pick up general cure for your fish first aid kit because it works for a number of parasites that are common. If you have any fenbendazole left, keep it around because it's highly effective against stubborn things that don't respond to other treatments. Good luck with your treatment and I hope your fishes get better! Keep us posted!

8. Awaken_Riceball_ Member Member

I will definitely do an update! I purchased Fenbendazole from Thomas Labs, and I hope that it arrives sometime this week! Thank you for helping me identify this parasitic worm!

9. Savanna Member Member

No problem! Always happy to try to help.

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Aren't cammalanus worms red(dish)?

11. Savanna Member Member

Hence the red ones... they're red and white depending, on the outside, and white with red...pompom..things, on the inside.
    Regardless of what anyone thinks they are or arent, fenbendazole will wipe most everything worm related out, and is one of the few things that will take out cammalanus worms. Other meds will do some other worms, but only a few do cammalanus, and fenbendazole will take out those plus pretty much everything else. However pretty sure they're those. Either way, one medicine and done, instead of trying and trying and trying others until the right meds are given.

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think Praziquantel will treat camallanus worms, by the way.

13. Savanna Member Member

Levamisole, fenbendazole and praziquantel are all primare treatments for them. Sometimes people use Levi with a small amount of prazi, or prazi on its own. They work differently though. Where Levi and Fen kill them, Prazi paralyzes them, and they get pushed out and you clean them out and eventually with repeated treatments any you miss die from starvation.
    This is why I recommended fenbendazole over prazi. Prazi is a pain but it works.
    Mebendazole is also in api cure with prazi and mebendazole is from the same family as fenbendazole, though it doesn't absorb well and is better in food if you want it to do anything to cammalanus worms at all.
    Prazi is what you're going for in general cure for the cammalanus worms. It just requires more work. Fenbendazole is easier, cleaner and will just kill them.

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks for the clarification. From what I read, it didn't work, but good to know that it can!

15. Awaken_Riceball_ Member Member

Unfortunately, the emperor tetra did not make it and passed away; however, I am treating through feeding the fish medicated Fenbendazole fish food and the entire tank with left over Fenbendazole in the 250mg packet.

Look, the worms are lurking around in the substrate :eek:

DSC_0297.JPG DSC_0298.JPG

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Don't overdose the Fenbendazole. I would do the medicated food or the tank, not both.