Fish has swollen butt (dropsy?) Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by campbellsar88, Mar 22, 2010.

1. c

campbellsar88 New Member Member

My Goldfish has a swollen butt, and I am not sure what is going on. In the last two months I have went from having high ammonia, to Ich, to high ammonia, to this now. One of my Platys was pregnant and she started to have her babies only they were all deformed and still birth. Her butt was swollen too, my ammonia levels are down to safe and I have not seen any more Ich on my fish but my Goldfish has been chillin at the bottom not eating much with clamped fins and red lines through his fins. I have lost a pleco, three platys, a neon, and a bala shark all in the last few months. Please help me!!!!!!!!!

Also my Goldfish's eyes now have black spots in them. I read they could be burns from the high ammonia, a few of my other fish had some spots on their gills and mouth.

Attached Files:

• Fish has swollen butt (dropsy?)
      2.jpg
      File size:
      62.7 KB
      Views:
      3.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
      4.jpg
      File size:
      51.8 KB
      Views:
      5.jpg
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
      6.jpg
      File size:
      64 KB
      Views:
  2. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

I am sorry your goldie isn't feeling well... One of the issues may be tankmates/tank temps. Goldfish are "cold fish" (lol couldn't resist...) and do not do well in higher temperatures. I think right around 68 degrees is ideal for goldfish, but I do believe they appreciate some fluctuations, such as those that come with night and day (but not too drastic!!)

Another issue I can see is serious overstocking... Bala sharks are very active and get HUGE (like 1 foot + huge) and are very active. Even if they are small now, they will not remain small, and need a very large tank. It would be wise to return them while they still fit in your tank. It would be helpful to know how many of each fish you have in the tank, as that will help us determine how to best help you :) Also, it would be great to have all your exact readings, as that will help too.

One thing I would like to add is that stress is a major cause of disease. Most common types of stress come from water conditions, tank mates, and tank size. High ammonia and cramped conditions are likely what brought on the disease your goldie is facing. It is very important to maintain water conditions at all times and ensure that tankmates have adequate space, to eliminate as much stress as possible. Sorry I do not have a pinpoint disease, but often times a healthy diet, some Stress Coat +, and pristine water will heal fish right up.

Finally, even though there are some overstocking problems in your tank, don't blame yourself. Irresponsible pet store owners that do not care (or do not know) about their fish freely hand out information that is inadequate and incorrect. Thankfully you are here now, where lots of people are willing to give out information to help make up for the pet store's mistakes. Don't worry too much, you will be on the right track (and deep into the hobby and MTS) in no time!!

3. OP
    OP
    c

campbellsar88 New Member Member

Thank you Rae64! My tank is 30 gallons and I have 1 goldfish, 2 platys, 2 mollie, 1 bala, 2 danio, 1 albino catfish, and 1 dwarf gourami. I also have a breeder net with 4 platy in it, which are about a month old.

My temp in my tank is 76, unfortunately my heater does not have a way to change the setting. My ammonia levels are at .25 (safe) according to my test kit chart. I do not know the nit- levels. I have been doing water changes every other day. And have added salt to help with stress levels.

I have had a fish tank for over 4 years but just recently upgraded from a 20 gallon about 6 months ago. I have never had as many problems before as I've had with this tank. My goldfish is my baby. I have had him since my very first tank and he was just a 10 cent feeder only an inch long and now he is about 7 inches.

4. rae64

Sadly, no ammonia levels are safe. Any ammonia at all is dangerous, but you are doing good with every other day water changes. I still would seriously consider returning the bala... personally I only feel they are fit for the largest of aquariums. Maybe try to rehome him somewhere, or maybe the LFS will take him? The temp is great for all the other fish but the goldie. Do you still have that 20 gallon? It may be wise to put the goldie in the 20 for QT in the meantime. Bare bottom with no heater may be a good idea (easier to keep clean) Perhaps you could keep him in the 20 gallon alone, where he can have proper temps and tankmates :) He will be much happier.

As for the stocking of your other tank (I know not what you asked about, but it is still important) Without the goldie and the Bala stocking is great. Once your tank is stabilized (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, low nitrate) it would be wise to add a few more fish. Using the bare guidline inch per gallon rule, you only have about 16 inches of fish. I would add 4 more danios and 3 more albino catfish (Assuming they are corys) as these are schoolers. That puts you at a nice stocking level, plus your schooling fish will be happy. But, be sure to get cycled first and add the new fish slowly.

Finally... salt. Salt is actually an irritant that makes fish over-produce slime coat. It adds to stress and discomfort, but can have some positive affects. It is better to look into a product like Stress Coat Plus that helps produce slime coat without irritating the fish. I would stop adding the salt, the water changes will slowly dilute it.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

6. rae64

Whoops! Missed that lol... yes, those test kits are the best IMO. They are easy and very accurate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice