Fish has red gills with mucus growth

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Georgie Ellen Brace, Jul 21, 2015.

  1. G

    Georgie Ellen Brace New Member Member

    Hello, I have a blackmoor goldfish that is a year old, he is about 2 inches big.
    I recently had a problem in my tank with some plants that started decaying as soon as they were put in the tank and left a lot of decaying matter under the gravel. This made tiny white worms appear in the tank. I used a gravel cleaner to get all of the dead plant out of the tank and did at half water change. When I did the half water change I put 0.5ml of safe start into the tank to replace some of the bacteria I took out with the dead leaves and water as well as tap safe. Thats when I noticed that my fish had a mucus starting to grow on his gills, at first he was eating fine and swimming around as normal. I started to treat him with King British Disease Clear but after a day he had stopped eating all together and wasn't opening him mouth to breathe. Now after day three his gills aren't moving in and out and have a full coating of this cottony white growth and the inside of the gills are very red and he keeps coming to the surface for air. I'm taking water samples to the vet in an hour to get them tested so I don't know the exact figures but as far as a diagnosis goes the pet store have been very wrong in the past so I was wondering if anyone on here would know better.
    IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0005-2.JPG IMG_0005-2.JPG IMG_0006.jpg
     
  2. Dom90

    Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

    That tank seems way too small for a goldfish. What tank size is it and what are your water parameters? He's probably suffering from ammonia poisoning.


    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum
     
  3. OP
    OP
    G

    Georgie Ellen Brace New Member Member

    Having trouble posting replies, Hi Dom, this tank is 25 litres, as recommended by the pet store, do you think it is far too small for him?
    I use the test strips and the vet told me they're very unreliable so I've got an appointment in half an hour where they're going to run tank samples for me in their chemical diagnosis machine to determine accurate levels.
     




  4. BornThisWayBettas

    BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

    Hi there and welcome to Fish Lore!!! Pleasure to meet you!!! :)

    First off, yes, that tank is way, way too small for him. The pet stores often just try to sell you stuff so they'll say anything to get you to buy something, I'm afraid.

    The vet is right, the test strips are inaccurate. I'd recommend an API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

    Until we get your water parameters, I don't feel too comfortable making a good diagnoses.
     
  5. OP
    OP
    G

    Georgie Ellen Brace New Member Member

    Hello! Thanks so much for your response, ok so the first thing I need to do is invest in a bigger tank! OK I will respond asap when I get back from the vet!
     
  6. Dom90

    Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

    Yes the tank is way too small. A goldfish if it's a fancy needs at least a 20 gallon tank and a common needs at least 40 gallons. I don't know much about goldfish. Liquid test kits are much more reliable such as the API Master Test Kit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum
     
  7. OP
    OP
    G

    Georgie Ellen Brace New Member Member

    I have got the results back from the vet,
    Ammonia: 0.25
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5.0
    Ph: 6.8

    I asked whether with these levels ammonia poisoning was the likely diagnosis for my fish but they said it's unlikely and can be remedies for with a 3 week water change and bacteria supplement regime, I've been given some fungal medicine for the fish. What do you think?
     
  8. OP
    OP
    G

    Georgie Ellen Brace New Member Member

    Sorry Dom90, is that US gallons or imperial? Many thanks!
     
  9. Dom90

    Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

    Any ammonia is bad and can be considered stressful for fish. Your tank is probably going through a mini-cycle because the size of the tank is too small for the bioload. According to some websites, your goldfish will get up to 6" long. That would be US gallons. The minimum I would do for a fish this size is 55 gallons actually.
     
  10. OP
    OP
    G

    Georgie Ellen Brace New Member Member

    Thank Dom, I've measured the fishes body from tail to head while he was down by the glass and he is a little under 2 inches at the moment so I will leave him in that tank until whatever health issue he currently has is dealt with while I set up a new, larger tank. Any ideas on what could possibly be wrong with him besides a supposed fungal infection, or the poisoning. I've started with the water changing/bacterial regime and put some of the fungal medicine in the tank and already he is swimming around and has come away from the surface of the tank, which is seemingly a good thing right?
     
  11. Dom90

    Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

    It may be a lack of oxygen, what kind of filter are you using for your tank? He may be a little under 2 inches now, but you have to take into consideration the adult size when buying a tank for fish.
     
  12. OP
    OP
    G

    Georgie Ellen Brace New Member Member

    The filter I am using is called an Elite Stingray 15 and I have a bubble stone in the water to help with the air displacement. Sorry what I meant by his size is that because he is that small at the moment, I can take proper time to set up a bigger tank until the conditions are ideal to move him into it.
     
  13. Dom90

    Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

    I'm not familiar with that brand as I'm not from the UK. I'm hoping Coradee can with that. 25L is about 6 US gallons and the only fish that would really work in this tank size is a betta. I'm not very familiar with goldfish though, I believe Dadio can help with that.
     
  14. Coradee

    Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

    I'm not a fan of the Stingray filter, they're bulky & there isn't a lot of room inside them for media.
    I'd suggest when you do get the bigger tank for him you go with an external filter, have a look at Allpondsolutions filters, many people on here use them only they're a different name in the US, SunSun
     
  15. Dadio

    Dadio Well Known Member Member

    Welcome to the home of pet humans :)

    Ok, you got major water problems and is why the gills are inflamed. Goldies are pretty tough so it takes major issues with water to create problems.

    Are you treating the water you are using and with what?

    As the others have said, but sorry to say that tank is way too small. If you are feeding more than once a day with a goldie of any kind take in mind they eat, they poop. So first off you need to make sure of the foods your using and the intervals, especially with a tank that size. But seriously, you need a tank 5 to 6 times the size of what you are already using

    So, first thing is a water change with treated water by at least 50 %, and I go even 75% because I'm most certain something is burning their gills. The slime coating is to help them protect but your water at this point is very crucial and most likely quite high in all the things we don't want in a tank.

    In a case as this you should treat the water with API Stress coat and not just prime. Use prime once your over this, but right now they need the extra aloe vera found in API Stress Coat and a larger home.
     
  16. OP
    OP
    G

    Georgie Ellen Brace New Member Member

    Hi Dadio, the fish is fed one flake a day although at the moment he's not to be fed for three days (reasons why follows) and I use Tetra TapSafe and Tetra SafeStart whenever there is a water change. I had a water test done and the nitrate and nitrite levels were ideal and the ammonia levels 0.25 over the 0 threshold so I've been given a tank cycling regime (adding bacteria with water changes and not feeding the fish for a few days) to lower the ammonia levels and have to take a water sample back to the vet at the end of the week to measure how well it's getting on. I was given a fungal medicine by the vet and was sceptical but after 2 days of treatment the fish is no longer at the top of the tank and is swimming around again...I can only think this is improvement?
    Thanks so much to responding to my question!!
     
  17. Dom90

    Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

    There's really no point in using Tetra SafeStart with every water change once your bio-filter has been established. I'd like to recommend Seachem Prime for water conditioner. Imo it's the best water conditioner on the market.


    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum
     
  18. Dadio

    Dadio Well Known Member Member

    Like Dom90 says, prime should be your mainstay and the only other product I highly suggest to have on hand is API Stress coat. The meds he most likely provided also are anti-inflammatory so while yes this can help, it may not rule out any other probable issues or secondary issues. Just keep an eye on them and keep your water pristine until you can house them in a proper size tank.
     




  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice