Fish Has Hole In Him. Parasite Or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Brandon2882, Apr 18, 2017.

1. B

Brandon2882 New Member Member

I have a 60 gallon african cichlid tank and just bought this fish from a LFS not even a week ago. All my cichlids are still only juveniles so I don't believe it's a bite. Any suggestions on what this might be? Looked like a parasite coming out of him but when I removed him from the tank it was gone. Maybe I was just seeing things. Resized_20170418_203356.jpeg

2. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Alien...?

It looks more like a rupture then bite. I'd say parasite but don't quote me.

3. OP
    OP
    B

That's what I thought. Looks like a parasite hole. But when I pulled him out there wasn't anything inside him. But when he was in the tank I could have sworn I could see something moving inside him. He's still alive and swimming okay. But concerns me about my other fish.

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I think parasite as well.
    You could try this. I have had to do it.

5. 2211Nighthawk

I'd be paranoid about the other fish. If it made that big of a hole, even just chewing it's way out, there's a more then likely chance your other fish are infected.

6. OP
    OP
    B

Would you recommend anything to help kill off any parasites in the tank? Naturally if possible. Don't want to use medicine unless I have to.

7. 2211Nighthawk

Not parisite unfortunately. I've never had to deal with them. Only parisite I had to deal with was anchor worm and that was a few years ago in my pond. I'd say try KimberlyG idea.

8. OP
    OP
    B

I think I will I didn't see that post at first. Thanks for the advice. Hoping for as much input as possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice