Fish hang out around the bottom

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by rokshak, Jul 9, 2015.

1. r

rokshak New Member Member

They're not doing anything out of the ordinary. No flashing. They just seem to settle in there and hang out. One little neon tetra likes to hang out behind a rock in the corner. He always has since day 1. If they could read, he'd have a library back there. The danio's continue to zip around but the neon tetras and my dwarf gourami, I thought, should me mid/top level fish. Is it normal for them to just lurk? I did a test with the api kit and all the parameters were fine. The ammonia was a little high but just barely outside of the 0 range. Nitrites were 0. Nitrates were hovering around 5. I did a small water change to even out that ammonia. When I come to the tank all the fish greet me hoping for food, and everyone looks fine. i don't see anything to indicate sickness. And of course the kuhlie's come out in the evening and rip around through the sand. Everyone is accounted for. I understand the dwarf gourami can be shy, but maybe I need to add some more tetra to make the school a little larger? Maybe they're stressed by the darn danio's constantly ripping around? I'm under stocked so I have space for it. It's a 36 G tank.

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

They might just be feeling a little insecure with all the activity the danios are creating. If you have room ib think upping their school might be a good idea. How long have the tetras and gourami been in the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    r

The tetras, danios and kuhlie's were the first ones in the tank at the beginning of last month. The gourami was a fathers day gift from my kids.

4. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

They're probably just stressed by the ammonia. Was the tank cycled? You need big water changes if you have ammonia- enough to get rid of it all.

:)

5. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Some tetras just like solitude away from other fish. My black neons usually hide in plants or behind driftwood.

6. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

you need a school, tetra might be stressed, usually good in schools of 4 or more.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

How many of each type of fish do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

You should have 6+ tetras, more would be even better.

My dwarf gourami took over 2 weeks to stop hiding and lurking. He would just sit there behind the plants, all day, not moving, not eating. It's fine now that he's used to the tank.

9. OP
    OP
    r

Sorry for a late reply. Busy day. Yup, the tank is fully cycled and doing well. The ammonia was probably a little high because I was feeding them to get them to come closer to examine them. I cleaned up the tank yesterday and did a bit of a water change to lower that. There are 6 neons in the school but I think more might be in order. Maybe those darn danios are freaking them out. They're busy little punks, for sure. The tetras have been this way since day 1. Not very social unless there's food involved. I'm considering moving the danios if they will go into a 10G?

Yeah, she's (i think it's a she) doesn't dodge me as much anymore when I approach the tank. Sometimes even coming closer to the glass if I don't move around much, and just floats there watching me. lol I'm happy with how it's coming along with the dwarf gourami.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  10. ClearEyes

Dwarfs gouramis are easy to sex. If it's a she, she's just silver, no color. If it's a he, he has red stripes and lightly blue fins.

11. OP
    OP
    r

Ok, what does that make this one? I thought it was a female by the fin. Apparently I don't know a great deal. lol

Any advice on the danios? Aqadvisor didn't throw a flag when I entered it in so it should be ok? I really didn't know they'd be as active as they are when we got them.

12. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Because of their hyperactivity Danios should have at least a 2ft tank, preferably 3+

Yes more neons might make a difference. Neons are always more outgoing in bigger numbers.

13. ClearEyes

Pretty sure that's a male flame dwarf.

14. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

That's what it looks like to me as well. ^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

6+, 4 isn't enough.
    And I would say that is a male dwarf gourami.

16. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

Neons are middle/bottom fish that like dimmer light (or places with "shade"). The bigger the school, the more comfortable they are.

Also I am thinking that maybe it's not that the neons are inactive, it's that the danios are SO active? I have Giant Danios and Tiger Barbs. My tank is in a constant state of movement and as hyper as the TBs are, the GD's are worse! lol My son's tank has guppies and platies and compared to my fish, it seems like they are doing nothing at all.

You don't say how many you have but if you have room, you might want to add a few more and see if their attitude changes?

17. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I have 3 Royal Danios ( will get 3 more later) and they are constantly on the move, darting back and forth in the tank. A little hyperactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

18. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

That's too small for them, they are very active fish.

19. OP
    OP
    r

Anders I figured it would be too small. They're always on the go and I wouldn't want to make them crazy by putting them in a small tank. I'll make the neon school larger and see if that improves things. I enjoy the neons, anyway.
    amydeb I posted a pic from aqadvisor with my stock. I have room to grow. I'm just taking it slow and learning what I'd like to see in there. The danio's were a quick decision, so I've learned from that. :(

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

20. OP
    OP
    r

Sorry not to mention, but this also makes sense, where they're hanging out is in kind of a little cove of decor I made. So I guess maybe I don't have as much to be concerned about as I thought?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice