Fish going to top but not gasping for air?

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
K

kambreezy

Active Member
Member
Messages
158
TW2AQUATICS said:
What way did you acclimate them?
I did the floating bag method for 1 hour. Added tank water every 15 minutes
 

thatfishlover122

Active Member
Member
Messages
148
mine did this when i transferred them from their old tank to the new, i think it’s probably them adjusting to the different water qualities? it could be something to do with their swim bladder? mine stopped in a day or so
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
K

kambreezy

Active Member
Member
Messages
158
bubblebettas said:
mine did this when i transferred them from their old tank to the new, i think it’s probably them adjusting to the different water qualities? it could be something to do with their swim bladder? mine stopped in a day or so
Oh Okay, I mean they are swimming pretty fine right now so I'll see tomorrow
 

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,050
As far as I know that’s normal guppy behavior. Most of my guppies stay at the top and will glass surf whenever I walk by. They’re probably just adjusting to their new home.
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,795
Swimming at the top of the tank? Glass surfing? If they aren't doing it all the time and still explore then I find it pretty normal. I know some people say glass surfing is bad but honestly its pretty normal for most fish(as long as its minimal) especially since yours are new.
 

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Member
Messages
955
I would personally turn all the lights in the room and the tank for some hours and see if that helps them get familiar with their surroundings with less stress.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
K

kambreezy

Active Member
Member
Messages
158
TW2AQUATICS said:
I would personally turn all the lights in the room and the tank for some hours and see if that helps them get familiar with their surroundings with less stress.
All lights are off.
 

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Member
Messages
955
kambreezy said:
All lights are off.
How long have you had them? Honestly just give them time to settle and acclimate themselves, it’s her surroundings for them which I assume will be very different from where they came :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
K

kambreezy

Active Member
Member
Messages
158
TW2AQUATICS said:
How long have you had them? Honestly just give them time to settle and acclimate themselves, it’s her surroundings for them which I assume will be very different from where they came :)
I only got them today and thank you.
 

Itserikkaaa

New Member
Member
Messages
45
I just got three guppies too! I’ve read that glass surfing just means they are sort of bored and they like to watch what’s happening outside the tank. And I know guppies normally stay near the top. I’ve only ever had a betta before so I didn’t realize that most other fish need some sort of airstone or something and all of mine were at the top gasping so I hurried and put one in and they were much happier and swam around all over. But even then, they still spend most of their time at the top. If yours aren’t gasping for air and you have enough oxygen I think you are okay. Just watch them really closely and see if anything changes or if they are really lethargic or won’t eat or something like that. And as long as they are swimming around and occasionally go down, I think they are good.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
K

kambreezy

Active Member
Member
Messages
158
Itserikkaaa said:
I just got three guppies too! I’ve read that glass surfing just means they are sort of bored and they like to watch what’s happening outside the tank. And I know guppies normally stay near the top. I’ve only ever had a betta before so I didn’t realize that most other fish need some sort of airstone or something and all of mine were at the top gasping so I hurried and put one in and they were much happier and swam around all over. But even then, they still spend most of their time at the top. If yours aren’t gasping for air and you have enough oxygen I think you are okay. Just watch them really closely and see if anything changes or if they are really lethargic or won’t eat or something like that. And as long as they are swimming around and occasionally go down, I think they are good.
Thank you and Yes they are swimming perfectly fine now.

I recently purchased 3 male guppies and it's been a day since I got them. I recently noticed that they always go to the top of the tank to eat bubbles which I don't understand because I just fed them. I just hope it's not something with oxygen because I have an air pump in there and my parameters are stable and they aren't gasping for air so I dont understand.
 

bogmummy

Active Member
Member
Messages
122
they probably just think that the bubbles are food. Even if fish just ate, they will always want to eat more. That doesn't mean they still need food.
is your tank cycled?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
K

kambreezy

Active Member
Member
Messages
158
bogmummy said:
they probably just think that the bubbles are food. Even if fish just ate, they will always want to eat more. That doesn't mean they still need food.
is your tank cycled?
Yes it's cycled. It took 2 months :confused:
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
86
Guests online
2,024
Total visitors
2,110

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom