Fish given up?

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yesterday I wasn't feeling so well so I laid down for what turned out to be an extended nap. I woke up this morning and one of my fish went belly up. The biggest Danio I bought only a day ago died seemingly for no reason. It's a new tank and I couldn't tell you my levels for sure but I've been changing the water 50-60% every day.
I've got one fish that for the last two days seems to hang out near the top, and I just realized that he's not eating a min ago.
Do some fish just not acclimate or something? I'm not sure whats going on exactly, all the other fish seem happy.

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The tank I started a day or two before new years and I just realized something. I think when the light is off and the other fish try to sleep is when my Betta is attacking the other fish and I haven't been noticing. I put the Danio that died in a bag to take him back and I just realized he's bleeding.. he didn't die from Ammonia or anything..hes wounded. Another fish killed him.

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I took a sample of my water with me to the pet store. They use the API master test kit. My ammonia was between 0 and 0.25 according to the chart. My nitrites were very low as well, and Nitrate was 0. So they didn't die from an ammonia spike, and my water changing is keeping it in check.

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry!

Are you able to get another tank for the betta?

Often times fish can't handle the stress of incompatible tank mates.

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah. He's in a rather large vase at the moment- lol. Once I find my little hex aquarium for him I'll plop him in there.
I've got two more fish that croaked on me. I got my water tested again and it's the same as before. Am I just getting sold sick fish? This makes me wanna give up. I thought Danios were supposed to be hardy. They just stop eating for some reason and float up near the top for awhile. Then I'll notice they are having trouble staying right side up.. and awhile later they're dead. It makes no sense to me.

Borngemini

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Danios are excellent fish to keep as a new tank fish, they can live in not so good water conditions i don't see why a betta would attack a danio though they usually go for frilly colours that offend them Are you sure It wasn't internal parasites and the danio scratched himself up ornaments without any notice?

I've got a pet shop near me that's disgusting I brought 8 fish for my two tanks, turned out most died of fin rot and white spot , so did my much older fish, don't use them again

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ive been doing 20-40% water changes every day now.. and I bought a bottle of prime the other day so im using that now too. I hate to say i'm getting bad fish since they are living breathing creatures.. but that's how I"m starting to feel too. I'm unwittingly being sold sick fish...
I started out with 5 and thought they were neat and I wanted a bigger shoal so I went and got 2 more. With losses I'm down to 5.. and I can tell with certainty that one more will die within 24hrs. .

Last edited:

AnthonyC4C

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Its not that they are bad fish... stress takes it toll...shoot look what stress does to people and too much can kill you

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your probably right that the betta is being the jerk in all this. Have you thought about moving it to a tank, or perhaps keep it solo in that tank?

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He's been out of the tank for a couple days now. He will get his own little hex aquarium when I can find it. He's in a vase at the moment. lol

flyinggogo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Another possibility is your water is quite different from the store you got it, in which case they could suffer shock. A slow drip acclimation would be the way to go here. My guess is your right about your betta

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well my prediction held true. The last of the replacement fish has died off. I'm now 100% certain I am being sold ill fish. I have a core group of 4 from the original fish that all seem happy and content. They are getting fat and don't seem to be showing any signs of distress like the other 'batch' of fish did. It really sucks that it happened this way but I guess I can't do a whole lot about it.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
flyinggogo makes a very valid point. If the water chemistry in your tank is radically different from the pet stores tank that would cause big trouble. Test your water for PH and then find out what the PH is in the pet store. Do they have supplements in their water? Do they use salt? (which is a good thing in small amounts)

When you add the fish to your tank do you let the bag sit in the tank so the temp balances and then put them in? Or do you do a step introduction of water into the bag. I generally do it this way:

1. 15 min to stabilize the temp.

2. intro a small amount of tank water to the bag.

3. 20 min later intro 1/4 of the bag volume of tank water to the bag.

4. 20 min later intro 1/4 of the bag volume of tank water to the bag.

5. 20 min later intro 1/4 of the bag volume of tank water to the bag.

Then open the bag and let the fish swim out. Also, it is a good idea to have fed the tank before the intro of new fish.

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I let the bag sit in the water for 15-30 mins. I was never told anything about putting small amounts of my water into the bag.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I let the bag sit in the water for 15-30 mins. I was never told anything about putting small amounts of my water into the bag.
The step intro is not necessary if the water chem is the same, but I do it just to be on the safe side. I hope things work out for you.

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The ones that are surviving are getting chubby lol. They like to go to the bottom rock and 'peck' at it like birds.. eating food that fell from the top. It's funny to watch.

LorenHusky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do danios breed pretty readily? I have a pair that keeps dissapearing into the cave together. - lol.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do danios breed pretty readily? I have a pair that keeps dissapearing into the cave together. - lol.
As I understand it they are easy breeders. Egg scatterers that spawn on the fly. I would not know though. Which is strange as we have a school of 27 golden long finned danios, and I have never seen them mate.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom