Fish getting curved crooked spines!

1. Goldie Fish

Goldie Fish New Member Member

I just noticed today during a water change that 2 of my fish have curved spines now, they were not like that before! It has happened to one of my Zebra Danios and to one of my Orange Flame tetras. I did not notice that their spines were crooked last week during the WC because I was in a hurry and couldn't watch my fish after I was done like usual. So they probably were like this for at least 2 weeks.

What could cause this to happen to my fish? What can be done? Please help! :eek:

2 pictures of both fish that have the curved spines:

102_2241 (2).JPG 102_2238 (2).JPG 102_2240 (2).JPG 102_2242 (2).JPG

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Have you recently added anything to the tank? Are all of your parameters in check?

Sadly this looks very mycobacterium-like :( I hope we can pin it on something else, though :) What about any other changes? Has anyone changed color? Any stringy poop? Bloating? Anything like that?

3. M

Mamajin Well Known Member Member

That can happen due to either a vitamin deficiency or Fish Tuberculosis. My Cardinal Tetra began having a bent spine so I began dosing NLS pellets every day with Vitachem. Straightened out within roughly 2 weeks.

Another tank I had with nano fish all died from Fish Tuberculosis and one of the side effects is a bent spine. There is no cure for Fish TB.

4. SW5

SW5 Well Known Member Member

Looks like mycobacteria to me, as well. endlercollector can probably confirm this for you, she has a lot of experience with it.

5. OP
    OP
    Goldie Fish

I just added a New Female Betta 2 days ago, that is the only new fish in 2 months.

No other problems in the other fish at all.

Water tests:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 20
    Nitrite 0.5
    KH 240
    GH 180
    PH 9.0

6. junebug

It's possible the new betta introduced something to the tank. Did you QT her and if so, for how long?

7. OP
    OP
    Goldie Fish

No I did not Quarantine the Betta. I think the 2 fish's backs werte like that for 2 weeks and I only added the Betta 2 days ago. So I'm not sure:(

8. junebug

Try adding vitachem to their food for a while and see if that helps.

I would also consider investing in a QT tank for future fish.

9. OP
    OP
    Goldie Fish

Where is an inexpensive place online to order some Vitachem?

I do have a QT tank, it is a 5 gallon clear Rubbermaid storage tote box but it is not set up because we just moved recently. Guess I will have to get it set up now.

10. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I am sorry to say that this looks like mycobacteriosis, which includes many more mycobacteria than fish TB. I recommend euthanizing the obviously sick fish, and treating this tank as a permanent quarantine. Keep the water very clean, wash your hands very well before and after handling any equipment, and use pond gloves. I have been blogging at length about how this is actually a livable situation and is much more common than people realize. Please also keep this Betta in an appropriate tank to reduce her stress as well as that of the other fish. Reducing stress by keeping fish in the best community or solo situation for their species helps to keep their immune systems going. You can read up in the Betta forum on how best to keep this girl happy.