Fish Get Sick And Die - Desperately Need Some Help

faithapaul1

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
I’ve posted about this before, but no luck in figuring out what’s wrong.
Within the last two months I’ve had three healthy fish begin hiding, becoming emaciated, getting a bit better (coming out of hiding, swimming around and eating) only to die within the next few days.
My black Molly seems to get reoccurring fungal infections, or something that gives her white patches. I do water changes whenever I see something on her, but within the last two weeks she has gotten thin, had a fungus bloom, and just recently began hiding. She had been eating, was active, and her spots were healing. Now suddenly she’s hiding which is worrying me. I really don’t want to lose her. She’s also lost scales along her gills. Nothing looks red, there are just white scaleless looking patches, not the same as her fungal spots. I really want to help her. Losing fish is devastating.
Took water parameters today:
Nitrates: 30
Nitrites: 0
Ph: 8.3
Ammonia: less than 0.25 (did a partial water change afterwards)
Temp: 78.6F

Just switched out one of the tanks carbon filters.

All the other fish seem happy and very active.

It’s like the sick fish will be completely healthy one day but drop weight within just a few days. I’ve noticed that the sick fish really lose weight in their tails. It’s so bizarre.

I had seen strongly white poo previously in some of the other sick fish, so I treated with paraguard and lowered tank temp (tank was maintained at 83F for several months, within last week have gradually lowered it to 78.6F). I can’t say for sure if I’ve noticed stringy poo from this Molly in the past, but refusrdless her poo is white, but not string, more spongy if that makes any sense. She also stays towards the bottom to feed.

My tank is a 46 gallon and is cycled. There are five plants, 5 mollies, 3 platies, 6 kuhlis, 2 algae eaters, 1 sword tail, 1 mosquito fish, and 1 ghost shrimp. Additionally, there is a bubbler that runs all day.

It’s just so disheartening to watch my sick fish begin to show improvement only to lose them a day or two after they start to look better.

I’ve treated the tank with API fungus cure. I know chemicals aren’t ideal, but in the past the treatment has helped her improve with the fungus.

I just wish I knew what was going on. Any ideas? Illness? Parasite?

faithapaul1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you have pics of the Molly?
I noticed the other Molly’s had started picking on her, so I was in the process of setting up a hospital tank for her, but she passed away before I got the chance to move her.
She DID not look like this this morning. Her scales were there except for a few on her gills. The other fish had started taking her scales off while she was alive.
I feel absolutely horrible.

Attachments

faithapaul1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you have pics of the Molly?
I noticed the other Molly’s had started picking on her, so I was in the process of setting up a hospital tank for her, but she passed away before I got the chance to move her.
She DID not look like this this morning. Her scales were there except for a few on her gills. The other fish had started taking her scales off while she was alive.
I feel absolutely horrible.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m so sorry you’re going through this.
Do you have pics of the other mollies? When you’re medicating are you using the carbon? Are you doing frequent water changes?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom