fish fungus question

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
my one platy has been recovering from fish fungus and tail rot, its been in its own tank for about a week now, seems to be swimming fine and looks healthy except the ragged tail, just wondering about when it would be safe to put it back in the main with the others, and should i change out the medicated water and put fresh water in his iso tank with no meds and put him back after a day a so of being in clean unmedicated water

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Any medicated water should be replaced with clean water AFTER the course of the treatment (as instructed on a medication's label) is complete. That is, if for example it says on the label to treat fish for 5 days, treat the fish for 5 days, and change the water on the 6th day. Only, do a 50% water change on the 6th day, and another 50% water change on the 7th day, so that there is less shock to the fish. If the fish is still sick, you can repeat the treatment cycle again, and change the water again on the 6th and 7th day. As for the fish with the ragged tail, I'm not sure when it is safe to put it back to the main tank. Maybe when the tail looks normal?

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
the medication i got for the fungus says to treat for 48 hours and then add more meds, wait another 48 hours, then change 25% of the water and reinstall the carbon filter to remove the green water colouration, so i've stopped the meds, he has clean water, no weird growths or fuzzyness, just the tail is a little torn, so im just a little confused about when to put him back in the main tank, should another day or two, or should i wait til the tail grows back completely?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you just finished the treatment, keep the affected fish isolated for a little longer. Keep observing it during this time, and perform regular water changes to keep the water clean (nitrate shouldn't be higher than 5 - 10, and should be 0 at best). If you see the tail healing and if the fish is swimming, looking, and eating well, then you could put it back in the main tank I suppose. I don't know how long it will take for the tail to heal, but perhaps it would be best if you waited until the tail has completely healed. And when you're putting the fish back into the main tank, do not forget to acclimatize it properly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom