Fish Fungus or ich? 10 Gallon Tank

1. adv4ever Initiate Member

I've had my tank set up for a little over a year now. I'm pretty sure from reading about disease and fungus that my guppies now have a fungus. It looks more like white fuzzy patches than saltlike crystals.

I've recently introduces two Khulie Loaches to the tank and shortly after, I noticed these patches on a couple of my fish. If I'm not mistaken, the khulie loaches aren't suceptible to diseases, but does anyone know if they can carry fungus or disease?

What is the best way to approach this? I have heard a few different things I can do, but I'm not sure what is the best and safest for my fish. I am also keeping 3 neon tetras and a pleco in the tank.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!

im sorry but sounds like a tank thats way overstocked and the fish are stressed :( is the pleco a common pleco? do you know your readings for ammonia/nitrites/ nitrates? if you can get a pic for us, it would help with more suggestions on how to help ....

3. kcarmartinez Member Member

I am not sure that kuhli loaches are not susceptible to disease...
    You might also want to look up Columnaris which can look like a fungus but is actually a bacterial infection. I had new tetras that had this and it gets bad pretty fast. I used Maracyn/Maracyn 2 combo but lost half my new fish before I got it under control. Fungus will look more "fuzzy."
    No matter what, keeping your fish happy will help them through whatever they have. So keep that water clean and try not to add anymore stress than possible.

Also, fish, plants, snails, nets... can all carry things from one tank to another. So the problem could have come in with the new fish. The other possibility would be that the disease was already in the tank. Stress weakens the immune systems of the fish. The addition of new fish could have stressed your old fish causing them to get sick.

4. adv4ever Initiate Member

Yes, it is a common pleco. I'm sure the tank is overstocked as well, therefore, I'm getting rid of all of the female guppies. No more babies for us, thanks! ;)

I almost purchased some Maracyn but (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think I can use that in a tank with scaleless fish and I don't have a hospital tank yet. I also noticed that there is what looks like a black mold in the tank. Today I got rid of all the rocks, and replaced them with new, scrubbed and disinfected the fake plants and did a 50% water change, adding stress zyme and stress coat. I'm also going to raise the temp a bit to see if that helps. Whatever it is, I've only noticed it on 2 of the guppies. I guess after all the rearranging and changes made today, that will probably send them all into overload but hopefully it will benefit the tank as a whole even if a do lose a couple of fish.

5. adv4ever Initiate Member

Also, I'm not sure what my tank readings are. I bought some test strips but ended up taking them back to the store as they were pretty hokie. You pretty much had to guess at what the results were. I have to wait until next week before I can purchase a good test kit. Btw, can anyone recommend a good test kit that is easy to use?

6. alicem Member Member

7. adv4ever Initiate Member

Thanks for the input! :) Got a test kit... and my definition of "easy to use" is one that I can figure out, I suppose. I bought some test strips that were useless garbage as they didn't give any kind of definite readings. I bought an API one that was easy to use and easy to determine the results.

I'm taking care of my problem...the nitrites and nitrates were high, and I have an algae bloom. I've greatly reduced the number of fish in my tank, upped the water temp, have some nitro lock in the filter and am doing 25% water changes daily and things are coming along!

Again, thanks for the input! :)