Fish Fungs? Or Ntd Question

1. Kanc3

Kanc3 New Member Member

Hi guys, sorry to ask anyone know what kind of diseases is that?
    It appeared to 2 of my neon tetra and any way to cure?
    thanks a lot for answering.
    upload_2018-6-15_11-58-50.png upload_2018-6-15_12-1-0.png upload_2018-6-15_11-59-30.png

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking it's columnaris :(

There are a few treatments for columnaris.

3. coralbandit

coralbandit Valued Member Member

^^ I agree on columnaris^^
    If you have a large school of neons I might be inclined to just remove the two that look infected .

4. OP
    OP
    Kanc3

Kanc3 New Member Member

alright thanks a lot guys :)

5. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Columnaris is a bacterial disease that is highly contagious. You should just treat the whole tank for it. Just because the others aren't showing signs...Yet, taking the 2 that are won't do much good.

6. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Would you like some help on how to treat it, love?

7. finnipper59

I forgot to mention that Maracyn 2 or triple sulfa will work for treating columnaris. I recommend the Maracyn 2.

8. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Thats not columnaris, its NTD
    Columnaris has white lesions on the skin with secondary fungus and tail rot.... NTD has under the skin brown lesions, look at the lesions, brown, near the top dorsal or near the cadual pendacule, this is NTD.
    The cure is Naladin acid.
    But you might want to just start over, its appears to be advanced.

9. finnipper59

Thank you for correcting the diagnosis. That's why I steer clear of neons in the first place.

10. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

The problem is that other fish can get it as well :(

11. Whitewolf

Look up "naladin" Naloxic acid.
    IT is the ONLY cure way to kill NTD aside from bleaching and scrubbing and drying everything.
    If its only one smallish tank, START over bleach it good and get some diffrent kind of tetras.
    Dont feed worms or anything that can carry NTD parasite to tetras or guppies especially.
    (tubifex, Blackworms, live daphnia)

12. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I have 3 with NTD right now. I treated for columnaris first but also tried the Naladin. Neither worked for me, unfortunately. Here’s a pic of my worse one. He has been in QT for a couple of months but beginning to decline rapidly now. I have a well known member on here arguing with me that I can’t diagnose with out a microscope. He still feels it is columnaris. However, I have treated for everything possible and used every med there is. Nothing has been successful. I am convinced it is NTD.

Attached Files:

13. Whitewolf

I agree goldie mom it is, but once the skin lesion happens, the damage has been done. The naladin should be used just to stearilize stuff that you dont want to kill the biofilter
    Best case scenario is just to break it down bleach and start over, but the naladin you should be able to use it and then restock and be okay.....
    Try some diffrent tetras, neons and cardinals are just too fragile, there are dozens of species of tetras that are colorful small and stronger fish