Fish Fry - Only one to survive!

1. jbdub Member Member

New Fry Born - Only Survivor

Hey,

This is the first fish fry i've had. It's a guppy(big shock) and the only one to survive after his siblings were had for dinner.

Any advice on keeping him alive appreciated :)

Attached Files:

• Fish Fry - Only one to survive!
      1.JPG
      File size:
      51.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Give the fry as many hiding places as possible. Other than that, separation from adults is about all you can do.

Best of luck!

I have merged the two threads together, moved the thread to Livebearers/Guppy section and opened the thread.

Thanks!

Ken

3. jbdub Member Member

Thanks

4. ilikeendlers Initiate Member

At least you found one survivor.
    More hiding places the higher the fry survivor rate.
    Keep that baby from the parents! =)
    Take the parents out or take that baby out would help.
    Or you can buy a little fry cage and let it grow in it.
    I did that before and threw lots of live plants in there.
    Once big enough I released it

5. tpasser2 Member Member

Just curious, when you leave fry in the tank and pretty much expect them to be eaten, should you cut back on the regular feeding since you know your fish will be eating them?

6. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

99% of the time the parents well eat them but in my case my female only ate the dead ones she actually is very protective of the other 20 she well bite me when I they to feed them without her seeing me first. She even jumped into the fry saver I have them in to bite me when I was cleaning it today. It also depends on how many fry are born and how many fish are in the tank.

7. jbdub Member Member

There were actually 3 left in the end! Two hid out for a couple of days so I didn't see them.
    I got this liquidfry no.2 formula and used that at the beginning. Now I'm mixing it with crushed flakes.
    All the are happy, healthy and a little fat!

8. PrairieSunflower Initiate Member

I'm convinced there is a personality thing going on as well. My first female to give birth has an insane determination to attempt to eat her babies... even while birthing others she was chasing them down... was lucky she gave birth when I was watching so I could save some.

My second to give birth didn't even flinch in the slightest when he babies were born and never pursued a single one.

My third female only had 4 fry and sort of "started" when she saw them but then turned and swam the other way.

9. tpasser2 Member Member

Hmm thats interesting. I was just wondering in case I decided to ever get a female guppy and go that whole route.