Fish fry!!!! Omg

Mizzcharmz

Member
So this morning I checked on my baby's. All was well, come back later and I see that my baby's HAD A BABY. So I whip out my breeder tank and catch that one fry. After I get that one settled I find one more. I'm sad to say that I probably had more but the other fish got to them. I have a few questions involving care for these guys, This is my first time dealing with this.... When do I feed them? How often? What do you recommend, I have heard I can crush up fish flake into a powder but What other options? What kind of fish do you think they are (I have pics posted below, I say dalmation molly but Idk if it's either black molly, dalmation or micky mouse platy) I am pretty sure I have another preggo fish, if I move these babies into their own tank soon,and then I have another batch, will the new batch be safe with these guys at say 3 or 4 weeks old? Any advice would be lovely, thanks y'all!
 

Gone

Member
Congratulations!

Pulverized flake food is fine for livebearer fry food. The very best food you could feed would be live baby brine shrimp, but that takes some fiddling around to get a hatchery going. Frozen baby brine shrimp would also be good, if you don't mind keep fish food in your freezer. Probably the most important thing in feeding fry is feeding small amounts several times per day.

I'd also try to get them out of the breeder box as soon as possible. The fish probably have to grow for three or four months before they're a threat to any new fry.

If you plan on continuing breeding livebearers, you're gonna need more tanks. Petco and Petsmart have $1 a gallon sales that will be an economical means of building your new fish room!
 

AquaticQueen

Member
You can just crush up some flake food really finely and they should eat it.
 
  • Thread Starter

Mizzcharmz

Member
I think its my black molly that gave birth to them and I think she was in active labor. I found those 2 and then moved her into the breeder for an hour. It seemed to stress her out so I let her back out. But since then she has been hiding behind some rocks close to the ground. Since I got her about a week ago, she always stays around the filter and heater at night and stays to herself. She started exploring more but then today she was back to hiding. Is it possible that either A. She is still in labor and she just got stressed so she stopped or B. shes done and just being a recluse

So excited... Also, can someone explain a sponge filter to me... Do they work with an air pump? I need to get one for the 2nd tank.
 

Gone

Member
Water moves with bubbles that rise from an airline. With a sponge filter, you attach the airhose and the bubbles rise from the bottom of the sponge creating air flow through the sponge. You'll find when you're working with the aquarium and stir up debris, it will attach to the sponge because the water's being sucked through.

You'll have to cycle any new tanks. You can take media (sponge) out of one tank and transfer it, but you've just taken a large portion of the bacteria out of the last tank. Usually people get some see bacteria from a source, and start cycling again with the new tank.
 

AQUA_LOVER

Member
Mizzcharmz said:
So excited... Also, can someone explain a sponge filter to me... Do they work with an air pump? I need to get one for the 2nd tank.
Live bearers are always fun! You can look forward to new babies every 30 days or so. I used to net them out but I found floating plants greatly reduced the number that I lost. This has a drawback in that before you know it your population has grown to 70 fish...

Sponge filter work by an air pump pulling the water through a sponge this acts as both a mechanical and biological filter.
 
  • Thread Starter

Mizzcharmz

Member
Thanks. I was so confused how it works, so I need an air pump to run it then. I took a decoration from my tank and put it in the other one. I also plan on adding live bacteria like I did with my current tank. I will probably get many live plants to put in the new tank. And that way I have plenty of places for my little guys to play in. Only thing I'm really wondering, is since there's a risk of sucking fry thru the gravel vac, how would I go about doing water changes in the new tank. I know its best to avoid substrate (Although I may consider sand) but I'm lost as far as cleanings and don't want to mess it up
 

AQUA_LOVER

Member
Mizzcharmz said:
Thanks. I was so confused how it works, so I need an air pump to run it then. I took a decoration from my tank and put it in the other one. I also plan on adding live bacteria like I did with my current tank. I will probably get many live plants to put in the new tank. And that way I have plenty of places for my little guys to play in. Only thing I'm really wondering, is since there's a risk of sucking fry thru the gravel vac, how would I go about doing water changes in the new tank. I know its best to avoid substrate (Although I may consider sand) but I'm lost as far as cleanings and don't want to mess it up
You will notice that the fry hang out at the top of the tank mostly that is why things that float are preferable for the fry. This is why they end up as food to the other livebearers so easily as they look to the top for food. I like to plant my tanks as much as possible (read overplant). This does also improve the look IMO and provide some places for the fry to hide. Livebearer fry are full grown in about 3 months. I used a hang on back breeeder box to keep them in until they were about a month old. With the floating plants, I stopped doing this entirely and my fish numbers still increased beyond what I was prepared for. Learn from my mistake, rehome some of them periodically or else your colony will get sick and crash. Decide what is a safe number for your tank and stick to it.

I keep substrate in all of my tanks, QT or otherwise. It looks nicer to me and it provides more beneficial bacteria, the disadvantage is that it makes it harder to clean and harder to notice any irregular pooh. I find that livebearer fry stick to the top portion of the tank while they look for food which reduces the risk of vaccuming them up, but the best way to prevent this is to use a nylon stocking over the vac hose. This will keep the fry from being able to fit through. I do this for my shrimplets and they are much smaller.

Here is a post I did a while back on how to identify the sex of guppies, but the same works for mollies and platies.

Gender Of Fancy Guppies | Rainbowfish 384443
 

Noroomforshoe

Member
You can feed crushed flakes, way back when I had mollies, the fry group up super healthy and that is all I remember feeding them. I think I would get some first bites or a jar of fish babby food if I was in the situation now.
 

Nobote

Member
I thought this was about something else entirely
 
  • Thread Starter

Mizzcharmz

Member
AQUA_LOVER said:
You will notice that the fry hang out at the top of the tank mostly that is why things that float are preferable for the fry. This is why they end up as food to the other livebearers so easily as they look to the top for food. I like to plant my tanks as much as possible (read overplant). This does also improve the look IMO and provide some places for the fry to hide. Livebearer fry are full grown in about 3 months. I used a hang on back breeeder box to keep them in until they were about a month old. With the floating plants, I stopped doing this entirely and my fish numbers still increased beyond what I was prepared for. Learn from my mistake, rehome some of them periodically or else your colony will get sick and crash. Decide what is a safe number for your tank and stick to it.

I keep substrate in all of my tanks, QT or otherwise. It looks nicer to me and it provides more beneficial bacteria, the disadvantage is that it makes it harder to clean and harder to notice any irregular pooh. I find that livebearer fry stick to the top portion of the tank while they look for food which reduces the risk of vaccuming them up, but the best way to prevent this is to use a nylon stocking over the vac hose. This will keep the fry from being able to fit through. I do this for my shrimplets and they are much smaller.

Here is a post I did a while back on how to identify the sex of guppies, but the same works for mollies and platies.

Gender Of Fancy Guppies | Rainbowfish 384443
Excellent advice!!! I learned so much from this! nylon sock, Idk why I didnt consider that, I was worried about cleanings with my shrimp and babiez. So good to know!
 

Owen1986

Member
It looks cool.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom