Experience
5 years
It's sort of sad but very interesting to see what's down there

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It’s very interesting. What’s crazy too is how little we still know about that environment and some of the undiscovered species wayyy down there

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh yeah, that guy. Has become a thing a few years ago already. Marine Biologists seem to be torn about him, because on the one hand, he works on a trawler with dragnets. But on the other hand those provide a lot of material to study, that cannot be optained otherwise.

The gallery includes pictures from several sources though.

kered

Reaction score
Now retired I spent over 40 years at sea mostly deep sea fishing and have seen some very strange creaturs in my time especially in the deeper water over 500 fathoms(1000 meters) lots are not comerciable yet but it will not be long. Lots of the fish you buy in the supermarket come in fillets as if you saw them whole you would not eat them, monkfish/angler fish are very tasty but not so good to look at.
As more and more of the well known fish like Cod & haddock have been overfished for years the industry is turning to other lesser known species.

OP
Brizburk

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
kered said:
Now retired I spent over 40 years at sea mostly deep sea fishing and have seen some very strange creaturs in my time especially in the deeper water over 500 fathoms(1000 meters) lots are not comerciable yet but it will not be long. Lots of the fish you buy in the supermarket come in fillets as if you saw them whole you would not eat them, monkfish/angler fish are very tasty but not so good to look at.
As more and more of the well known fish like Cod & haddock have been overfished for years the industry is turning to other lesser known species.
My solution is to not eat seafoods. It's sad that we're over fishing.

kered

Reaction score
Its the same on land, the monocrop is killing that too and also the insects, birdlife and small animals like rabits and hares, we are even drying up the underground watershed. We are destroying everthing we touch through greed and being 1up on the jonses

OP
Brizburk

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
kered said:
Its the same on land, the monocrop is killing that too and also the insects, birdlife and small animals like rabits and hares, we are even drying up the underground watershed. We are destroying everthing we touch through greed and being 1up on the jonses
And soon us. We need to go back to buying from small local farmers.

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
Am I correct in that a lot of deep sea fish basically explode when being brought to the surface because of the massive pressure difference. And even if the do survive the ascent they're pretty much dead anyways with ruptured cells and then having to swim back down 1000m to their domain. That sounds like a very slippery slope for commercial fishing them, you can't throw anything back.

OP
Brizburk

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rev said:
Am I correct in that a lot of deep sea fish basically explode when being brought to the surface because of the massive pressure difference. And even if the do survive the ascent they're pretty much dead anyways with ruptured cells and then having to swim back down 1000m to their domain. That sounds like a very slippery slope for commercial fishing them, you can't throw anything back.
Yes. That's why it's so sad. Blobfish in their natural habitat are very adorable, but look awful in photos from the surface. Some of those poor fish have had their eyes popped out and their intestines as well. It's horrible. I can't imagine the pain they went through.

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
Brizburk said:
Yes. That's why it's so sad. Blobfish in their natural habitat are very adorable, but look awful in photos from the surface. Some of those poor fish have had their eyes popped out and their intestines as well. It's horrible. I can't imagine the pain they went through.
That's horrible. Gotta be excruciating pain. Granted at a certain point they'd probably go into shock. I'm all for hunting and fishing but in a humane and sustainable way. This doesn't fit that bill that is brutal.

New Threads