Fish For Warmer Patio Pond Question

1. really lost

really lost New Member Member

I'm here in Southern California and summer is approaching but it's already hitting 90s this week with the water in my pond hitting around 80 tonight and around 70 ish at night. I've ruled out white clouds as it gets too warm for them and have been wondering about zebra danios, although others haven't claimed success. I'd try fancy guppies but the ones around here are really finicky or fragile even with my harder water. Other considerations include rosy red minnows or such. I don't know how on board i am with tropical fish because it is hot here but perhaps one night it might dip too low I'm not sure. Let me know some suggestions

2. Abby565

Abby565 Valued Member Member

Do you know how many gallons the pond is? Maybe mollies? They can tolerate a really wide range of temps. I actually don't know much about them, but I've seen a lot of people put them in their patio ponds.

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Along the same lines, platies are very hardy and from my experiences cab handle a large range of temperatures.

Is the pond in ground? This will help avoid temp swings, as well as the size - bigger have slower temp swings and location... if out in the sun it can warm up quicker then in the shade.

4. OP
    OP
    really lost

really lost New Member Member

The pond is pretty small (30 gallons) and out of the ground. It gets a few hours of sunlight in the day but rest of time it's shaded but still hot here. I'm looking to get something bigger but don't know what kind of container or such to use for it

5. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Consider using stock tanks, you can get many thats over 100g in size for extremely good prices.

6. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

What about guppies? They have a wide temperature range and are pretty hardy.