Fish for very hot weather Question

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by Wendigoblue, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Wendigoblue

WendigoblueWell Known MemberMember

Hi,
    I was wondering what kinds of fish can live in water that has a potential to reach 90oF. I would like to build a backyard pond, but I'm also very new to aquatic plants and ponds. I was looking for fish that are colorful (that means no least killifish) and flashy, but can also live in a pond up to 50 gallons. I'm asking for fish that can live in around 50 gallons to be safe. Until I actually know the exact size. Maybe guppies, mollies or goldfish? I know goldfish are huge waste producers so they are not my first choice. I already have guppies (I learned my lesson on livebearers...) and would like to put them in a pond if I can.
    Thanks

2. Witchydesign

WitchydesignWell Known MemberMember

I would think american flagfish would, considering they are found in florida.

3. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

Hello echi1, what size pond are you planning on building ? As long as you build a section that is 3 feet deep, well aerated, and it has some shade, goldfish will be ok.

4. OP
    OP
    Wendigoblue

WendigoblueWell Known MemberMember

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies! I plan on making it deep, because of the weather here. I was also going to plant thick foliage around the pond so it has shade.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  5. animantoNew MemberMember

I am a beginner too but I live in a 30 to 38 Celsius area, my pond is like an outside aquarium but I have water lilies and water Jacynth.. they provide shade as well oxygen, I have a fountain plus a filter.. I have fancy goldfish, angel fish, catfish, gouramy and other that I do not know the name.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice