Fish for very hot weather Question

1. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    I was wondering what kinds of fish can live in water that has a potential to reach 90oF. I would like to build a backyard pond, but I'm also very new to aquatic plants and ponds. I was looking for fish that are colorful (that means no least killifish) and flashy, but can also live in a pond up to 50 gallons. I'm asking for fish that can live in around 50 gallons to be safe. Until I actually know the exact size. Maybe guppies, mollies or goldfish? I know goldfish are huge waste producers so they are not my first choice. I already have guppies (I learned my lesson on livebearers...) and would like to put them in a pond if I can.
    Thanks

2. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

I would think american flagfish would, considering they are found in florida.

3. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hello echi1, what size pond are you planning on building ? As long as you build a section that is 3 feet deep, well aerated, and it has some shade, goldfish will be ok.

4. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies! I plan on making it deep, because of the weather here. I was also going to plant thick foliage around the pond so it has shade.

5. animanto Initiate Member

I am a beginner too but I live in a 30 to 38 Celsius area, my pond is like an outside aquarium but I have water lilies and water Jacynth.. they provide shade as well oxygen, I have a fountain plus a filter.. I have fancy goldfish, angel fish, catfish, gouramy and other that I do not know the name.

[​IMG]