Fish for Unheated 10 Gallon?

FishAndDoom

I never stopped loving fish but I didn't plan on getting more after my Poecilia mexicana died, I just wanted a break from the hobby after 15+ years. Well, I moved and set up my guy with his own tank (he's loving his new set up) because I can't find any female Poecilia mexicana for him to breed with. It kicked me into gear. I have a shop room in my new place and want to grab a smaller tank or two for in there.

What do you guys like in an unheated 10 gallon? Room temp fluctuates between 65-70. Killies were my first thought but the potential of their jumping weighs on me (and my old Aphyosemion australe pair were a bit much at times). I do love me some livebearers.

I'm also thinking of setting up a 5 gallon for a betta but that will be heated, for obvious reasons.

WRWAquarium

A paradise fish could be a cool option for an unheated 10g

WCMM would probably be my choice, peaceful colorful little fish that are nice to watch. A good sized group would work.

A group of Zebra or similar rerio danios could work in a 10g too but they are active and like lots of swimming room so watch for potential chasing and nipping getting a bit out of hand.

FishAndDoom

WCMM, the natural coloration, are high on the list for me. Never had them, weirdly enough.

RayClem

A paradise fish is a type of gourami. It is hardy and has a long life span. While it can live in a 10 gallon tank, since it gets over 2" in length, it would be better kept in a 20 gallon tank.

Because white clouds are small, hardy, and come from mountain streams, they should do quite well in a 10 gallon tank.

Because zebra danios like being kept in small schools and they are active swimmers, they would do best in a 20 gallon or larger tank.

With the addition of a heater, you would open up your choices to other warm water fish such as a school of ember tetras.

FishAndDoom

While I can do a heater, I just don't want to. Been using them for as long as I've been in the hobby. Just thinking about experimenting with some fish that don't need the heater, trying new things.

RayClem

While I can do a heater, I just don't want to. Been using them for as long as I've been in the hobby. Just thinking about experimenting with some fish that don't need the heater, trying new things.
There is certainly nothing wrong with an unheated tank as long as you pick the right fish. It is too bad you do not have a somewhat larger tank as they would increase your options as well.

ProudPapa

Guppies will do okay at those temperatures. Of course go with all males if you don't want to have to deal with fry.

Have you considered shrimp? They also don't need heat, and are more entertaining to watch than you might think.

FishAndDoom

Guppies will do okay at those temperatures. Of course go with all males if you don't want to have to deal with fry.

Have you considered shrimp? They also don't need heat, and are more entertaining to watch than you might think.
Shrimp are okay. I had amanos in the past and they were nice but I can't see shrimp being the focus of my tank. I'd get bored.

ProudPapa

Shrimp are okay. I had amanos in the past and they were nice but I can't see shrimp being the focus of my tank. I'd get bored.

You could do shrimp and guppies.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views
Motherlovebetta
Replies
Views
Donovan Jones
  • Poll