Fish for ten gallon

1. Wildside Member Member

Hi!

I have a leftover 10 gallon tank with a heater and pump and was wondering what sort of fish I could put in there. I'm not overly picky but seeing as I already have guppies and neon tetras in my big tank I would like something a little different.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

By pump you mean a filter? You'll need a filter.

Since you already have little schooling fish, you could get a Betta and shrimp, or make it a shrimp paradise tank. :3

3. danieltaylor Member Member

It depends how much you wanna spend honestly. You can go completely ghetto and get plants out the local stream and use qwick-rite all purpose soil as substrate and just get some really sturdy resilient fish to go in there like Molly's or a Gold fish and change the water like twice a week and you could do it for free. However if you had the money id get plenty of plants and get 1 or 2 really pretty fish and a glass catfish or a snail to help keep the tank clean. I personally like a variety of fish in my tank but that takes more time and attention than just get 5 or 10 Neon Tetras and a colorful Snail and its a lot less maintenance

4. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

A Betta is about the only thing I know of that is fit for a 10 Gallon. Maybe the stocking experts will chime in on this one. TexasDomer, Anders247

5. clark12 Member Member

i have 2 shell dweller cichlids in my 10 gallon. n. brichardi. they are very interesting fish. not very colorful but their fins are what they are known for. one digs in the sand and make mounds all over the tank. i have a rock/ cave wall i made along the back wall that they love. i also have shells for them but they prefer the cave system. very cool fish. i want a bigger tank with just shellies

6. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

7. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Don't EVER put a goldfish in a 10g. They will quickly outgrow the tank. Goldfish get 1 foot. Neon tetra's are not ideal for a 10gal because they are very active and Don't have a lot of room to swim in if you put them in a 10gal. I would say a beta and some shrimp like codyrex97 said. Also some snails!

8. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yeah Mollies, goldfish, and glass catfish, none of those are really suitable for a 10 gallon. Especially not goldfish.

9. shadowfish Well Known Member Member

Mollys,Goldfish,Glass catfish,and neon tetras are NOT OK to put in a ten gallon.

the mollys poop too much for the small tank and get too big
    the goldfish get huge and poop alot also,alot of people think they do fine in small tanks but they do not!
    Glass cats NEED schools or theyll get stressed and die,they also are too big when schooled
    neon tetras also need schools (like you said) but a school of fish (even if they are small) would be too big for a ten gallon.

Anders kindly wrote that ten gallon stocking list and its a good thing to go off of,but still,look into eeach fish you think you want to see if you can provide the best and right care.

10. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I have two 10 gallon invert tanks and they're a ton of fun. Snails and shrimp, with an order of new shrimp on the way for one of them :)

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

12. Avaismyfava1 Member Member

Dwarf Puffers are cool. They are so intelligent and know what happens outside the tank. Plus they are cute and cheap depending on where you are!

13. Graphix Well Known Member Member

Shell Dwelling cichlids! Sort of difficult to find at pet stores depending on your area, but they are very suitable for 10 gallon tanks. Neolamprologus Multifasciatus are probably your best bet, peaceful enough but in a 10 you shouldn't mix with anything else. You can do Anubias and other plants that grow on rocks but probably nothing that grows from substrate as the shell dwellers love to dig them up.

This is one of my little Multifasciatus coming out of her shell in the morning :)
    IMG_20160617_083459018_HDR - Copy.jpg

14. Wildside Member Member

Thanks for all your imput.

I originally had red cherry shrimp in there but they all started dying really quickly for no apparent reason.

Someone told me that German Rams would do okay in a ten gallon but I have my doubts. Those fish look really interesting. I'll look them up and see if my local fish store stocks some. I also had a betta in there at one point but he developed dropsy and died.

As a general rule, I've never had much luck with bettas, I don't know why.

15. Graphix Well Known Member Member

What kind of filter are you running?

16. Wildside Member Member

Uh... I don't really know. It's plenty powerful. I got it so long ago the label washed off. I put a tight over the water output to slow the current down my betta.

17. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Well, if you want, we can certainly try to "trouble shoot" to see what may have happened to the RCS if you decide you want to give them a try again. I find them to be awesome :)

18. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Correct, GBRs aren't appropriate for a 10 gal.

If you're having issues keeping fish alive, we can help figure out why so you stop losing fish :)

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

19. Wildside Member Member

Yes. It's a recent issue.

To give you an idea, I have a planted 40 gallon (150L) tank with neon tetras, guppies, rainbow cichlids, hillstream loaches and snails which is doing really well (so far at least, I probably just jinxed all the little guys). The only issue I had with that was one of the tetras which got sucked into the SUMP and had been living there for two months before I noticed (I thought he'd died) but otherwise, no fatalities.

The 10 gallon used to house 7 guppies (they bred so I got the larger tank partly to house them). I 'rescued' a beautiful purple betta from my local garden centre seeing as they just keep them in little bags floating in the water there. Sadly, he developed dropsy and died.

The shrimp are strange. I had Red Cherrys and what the guy I got them from called 'green sakuras' - apparently from the same family - the latter weren't dying but every few days, I'd find a Red cherry dead floating by the filter. Any ideas what could have caused this?

20. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

The "cherry" shrimp actually come in multiple colors, green, red, blue, yellow, brown, and natural.

Lots of possible options that could have caused it, so my apologies for the spam of questions...

By any chance do you happen to remember what the tank parameters were when you lost the shrimp and was it cycled?
    Any pics you took of them?
    What were you feeding them?
    How was the tank decorated?
    What additives did you use (water conditioner, ferts, etc.)?
    Are your pipes copper?
    What type of water do you use?
    How long after you added them did they start dying, and if it was very soon after, how did you acclimate them?