Fish for small tank?

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will (hopefully) soon be getting a bigger tank to rehome the fish I have in my 5 gallon tank (it's too crowded!:-\), and I am looking for some tips on what I can put into the small tank. So far the only idea I have is a betta... Any other suggestions?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There are a lot of threads about this very topic, actually. The general consensus seems to be a betta, dwarf puffers, and sparkling gouramis. I have seen ember tetras and chili rasboras mentioned as well and I know there are more if you want to do a search. 5 gallon also make great shrimp tanks. You can have maybe 50 shrimp in it plus a pretty snail or two (that's what I've got in my 5 gallon).

-Lisa

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Would the gouramis eat the shrimp if they were put together?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There's always a chance, but I'd worry more about the shrimplets than the adults. I'm not totally sure but I don't think a sparkling gourami could fit an adult shrimp in its mouth. Don't quote me on that, though.

If you do want to mix shrimp and fish, provide lots of cover for the shrimp and you should get enough babies to keep the population going.

-Lisa

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sparkling gourami are small and shy. .... and beautiful. I can't see them eating a shrimp but I don't have shrimp.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you could do celestial pearl danios also.

I think most fish will eat a baby shrimp, but if you are only dealing with a 5 gallon you really don't have the room for lots of babies anyhow.

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Personally, I'd go with the betta.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would go for a betta, personally, but I would also love a dwarf puffer!!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I also would want a dwarf puffer, but I understand that those are difficult for new hobbyists.

In a 5, you could have 2 sparkling gouramis. (But not any other type of gourami)
My personal inclination would be a betta with some shrimp on the bottom. The betta is likely to pick off a shrimp here and there, but I'd be fine with that.

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm also fond of least killifish AKA dwarf livebearers; I've seen the posted a lot on aquabid lately, but I don't know if you'd want to order on line (which is usually in quantities of 10+) if you just need a few for a 5 gallon.

I admit that I'm pretty fond of sparkling gouramis, as well, and they certainly didn't eat my (adult) RCS when I had them. (I always have loads of plants, so I'm not sure if the fish would have pestered the RCS more often if they could have found them more easily.)

Aren't there also some species of killifish that stay quite small? From what I understand, their lifespan is quite short, but you can buy the dried eggs and hatch out one or two a year. (Please correct me if I'm wrong; I've been reading about them, but I haven't kept any killifish species, so I might be blurring the details of my research.)

Danionins

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are several small Danios that would be perfect.

Danio nigrofasciatus - Dwarf Spotted Danios
530.jpg

Danio tinwini - Gold Ring Danios
531.jpg

Danio margaritatus - Celestial Pearl Danios
532.jpg

You could easily keep 6 to 8 of any of these in a 5 gallon tank. They do very well at room temperature so the problems of heating a small tank are of no concern.

Dennis

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for all of the comments everyone! Leaning towards a betta with some shrimp maybe?

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you haven't thought of it, you could get 2 ADFs (african dwarf frogs). They are so funny to watch and I really recommend them to people who are looking for more than just fish (I'm more partial to snails, frogs and shrimp myself )

ADFs get to be about 1.5" and they are often confused with African clawed frogs, so make sure you know what your looking for (they are easy to tell apart if you know what to look for), before you head to the LFS.

GL, extra tanks are always fun!

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Kupcake, we actually did have a ADF, but sadly he died. He was indeed very entertaining to watch!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am currently in the process of setting up my 5 gallon as a dwarf puffer tank. I think they are really neat little fish and can't wait to get mine.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads