Fish For Pond

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by barandemir09, Apr 13, 2017.

1. barandemir09

barandemir09Valued MemberMember

I'm looking for some fish for my pond, something that would last the entire year of Melbourne weather. My pond is about 1.2m diameter that goes down in a cone like shape to about a meter deep. I have some duck weed and some frogbit on top. I heard that being pretty deep in the ground, there would be certain temperature zones in the actual pond and that the fish could be fine if the kind of hibernates the bottom. So, whichfish would be good for this? I would something that would readily breed too.. I had some goldfish in there before and they were breeding, I'm looking for something smaller this time... oh and would the duckweed and frogbit be enough for the fish to hide from birds?

[​IMG]

How it looks like with no fish or the frogbit. I'm also going to make that waterfall feature hidden with some more rocks and trim the grass in front of it

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Nice pond! How big is your pond? Maybe western mosquitofish (gambusia affinnis) would work or rosy red minnows?

3. OP
    OP
    barandemir09

I actually have no idea but it's about 1.5 or so meters by around 1 meter then it goes down in a pyramid like shape to about a depth of about 1 meter, so that way I think it's about 500 or so Litres so about 132 gallons. Wow that's a lot...

I don't thinks it's that much

[​IMG]
    It kinda looks like this it being 1 meter deep

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  4. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Depending how cold your pond gets you might be able to get a paradise fish, WCMM, danios, variatus platies, dojo loaches and other cooler water fish. You would probably have to bring them in over winter.

5. OP
    OP
    barandemir09

Probably goes as low as 4 degrees or so Celsius

That's the cold air, not the temp of the very bottom of the pond

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2017
  6. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Maybe some ricefish like mendakas or woworaes (daisy's rice fish). I read they were good candidates for ponds, but you're going to have to do your own research, as I don't know too much about them. I figure it's a good start though.

7. FishandFun

FishandFunValued MemberMember

I know you said no goldfish, but what about fancy goldfish? I know that those look really pretty.

8. OP
    OP
    barandemir09

Idk I'm kinda liking the goldfish idea again... just because it's easier to actually see them in the water...

9. vernonRSA

vernonRSANew MemberMember

I suggest Rosy Barbs and Golden Barbs. They are seen easily in the water because of their colour. I have mine in a pond and the lowest I have seen the temp of the pond was 12.5 C at first light. Air temp was 3,4 C that morning. Generally winter morning pond temp is 15 C for two peak winter months (June & July).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice