Fish For New 40 Gallon

zfrabutt

Reaction score
I can’t speak from personal experience because I’ve never tried to use any of these product, but I know they make pH down to add to the water. Also, they make something called proper pH which I’m pretty sure is supposed to stabilize the pH at 7.0. You might want to take a look into those if you’re having a hard time lowering it.

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just finished cycling my 40 gallon tank. I want to add some honey gouramis. Any suggestions on what else I should add. Also how many fish could I have as well. Looking for peaceful fish only

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Honey Gouramis require warm water, so be careful what you add to the tank. It should be about 82 degrees. First thing that comes to mind for warm temps and peaceful nature are Rasbora Hets and Kuhli Loaches. In a 40 gallon you could do 24+ Rasboras and 12+ Kuhlis easily. Super easy and peaceful fish. Would make a great tank with some driftwood and plants.

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Honey Gouramis require warm water, so be careful what you add to the tank. It should be about 82 degrees. First thing that comes to mind for warm temps and peaceful nature are Rasbora Hets and Kuhli Loaches. In a 40 gallon you could do 24+ Rasboras and 12+ Kuhlis easily. Super easy and peaceful fish. Would make a great tank with some driftwood and plants.
Driftwood and plants I already have! But I was looking to get a wide variety of fish

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could do variety, but a lot of fish, especially peaceful ones who can live in 80+ degree water, are going to need to be in a school.

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
You could do variety, but a lot of fish, especially peaceful ones who can live in 80+ degree water, are going to need to be in a school.
Who does the water need to be 80 and up I’ve read I can keep it at 76 and above?

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
80 is above 76, lol. Gouramis are a topical fish, 80-82 would be ideal. Im trying to give you some info, thats all. You can find all kinds of it on Google.

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
80 is above 76, lol. Gouramis are a topical fish, 80-82 would be ideal. Im trying to give you some info, thats all. You can find all kinds of it on Google.
Well I know 80 is above 76, you just made it sound like it had to be 80 though. Sorry!

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im saying 80-82 would be ideal for Honey Gouramis. I dont like keeping fish on the low end of their water temp range, I find it causes lots of health problems.

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's warm even for Honey Gouramis, they're a bit on the cooler side for gouramis with a range of 71-80F roughly, wild specimens even reportedly withstanding as cold as 60F in the Ganges river.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a pair of honeys that were in a tank at 78 for 6-7 months, then I moved them to a tank I keep at 76 for the last 5-6 months.

Haven’t researched their preferred temperature in months so I don’t know it off hand but they have been fine in both tanks.

But i’m sure I checked it initially, and for the move.

And it should be noted that in the summer time my tanks get to 80-82 during the day.

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just got brand new honey gouramis for my new 40 gallon tank. While I was picking them up I noticed some red honey gouramis which I didn’t even know existed. Do the red and gold gouramis work well together? I currently have 4 gold honey gouramis that are make and was thinking about getting a female too. I was wondering if I can add like 2 red ones for a total of 7 in a few weeks?

r5n8xaw00

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
To be honest, I don't have any experience with honey gouramis. But from what others have said here they are one of the more peaceful species of gourami. So you can have several in your tank. But please wait until some others with more experience give their opinions.

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just got 4 honey gouramis for my 40 gallons tank. One died this morning I bought them yesterday. Wondering when I can get more fish for the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom