Fish for a pond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What kind of fish can you keep in ponds? I live in Houston and that's where I plan to stay so whatever can survive here I can do. I'm not setting the pond up yet it'll be many years before I can actually do that but I was just wondering what kind of things you can keep in a pond that aren't koi or goldfish.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That depends entirely on the temperature your water stays. In general, you'll be able to keep most fish that can survive in your area (presuming your pond is large enough for a given fish, of course), as well as fish that live in similar areas. Living in Houston, you're going to have a fairly wide range of fish you can keep. If you add a heater, you'll likely be able to keep truly tropical fish in your pond.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
+1 with SDS.

I've also heard of people keeping Arowanas in huge ponds. 1000 gallon the minimum with 5-6 Arowanas. I've seen Archer fish kept in ponds too. An Archer fish pond is the most interesting pond I have ever seen, because every few minutes, you'll see jets of water being shot.

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I live in Euless Texas and have a pond. Ofcourse I have koi and goldfish in it. I also raise my breeder guppies in it and I have a large Pleco I put in in the summer. But he and the guppies have to be taken out in the fall and put in the tank in the house. Guppies get huge in the pond and multiply like rabbits. The pleco also grows bigger in the pond. In the pond they are constantly eating so they are getting tons of food.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Keep track of the temperature for several days about once a month through a whole year. You will need to have a large container of water to do this. Take the temperature of the water early in the morning, during the hottest part of the day (usually around 3 or 4 pm), and then if you can again in the evening before you go to bed for the night. This will give you an idea of the temperature range during the day - how hot and how cool the water gets each day. Keeping track for 3 or 4 days in a row will allow you to average out the temperature for that month. Keeping track at least once each month will give you an idea of the temperature range for the year. I could keep just about any tropical fish in my pond during the months of June, July, August, and partway into September if I wanted. By October, the water gets too cool at night so tropicals would have to spend the fall/winter/early spring inside. The only way to be sure you could keep them outside would be to find a way to heat the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.6%

Top Bottom