Fish For A Natural Pond??

sapphos
I recently obtained a piece of land with a couple natural ponds that I would like to stock. I am having trouble determining what fish will survive here. The area is zone 6B but I don't know what that means for the water temperature. The ponds are quite large (roughly 15' by 30') with an average depth of 2'-3'. It does seem to get cold but there were was a goldfish population added some 20 years ago and has survived the winters so it can't be that inhospitable. I am interested in adding mosquitofish, killifish, orfe, and sturgeon (like one, I am aware of how large they get). I am open to any suggestions. Has anyone had any success with other fish?

bruh
My aunt has a similar situation. She's always had luck with koi and goldfish.

sapphos
Thank you for the reply but I forgot to add that I am interested in about anything other that goldfish and koi. I love them but I have already added more goldfish (for genetic diversity) but now I would like so variety if at all possible.

bruh
Okay. Mabye a surgeon would work. You could also add sunfish, bass, other kinds of carp (state legality does apply) or some cold water sucker fish. Mabye even minnows.

Fishoholic23
People have had luck with over-wintering whiteclouds. Maybe those?

Kyleena696
Where are you located? Are you even allowed to just throw anything into a natural pond?

I only ask because I was in an environmental management class last semester and I had no idea the laws regarding wildlife are so strict here. Specifically ones involving any sort of wetland or introduction of species. I know I'll be reading tons of Acts and other pieces of legislation when I can finally have a pond just to make sure I'm not going to get myself in trouble.

chromedome52
NO STURGEON. Not a pond fish, ever. Most species are riverine and require current, with a couple of species living in big lakes. Those get extremely large, like 9-10 feet, maybe more.

Find out what species of Sunfish are native to your area. Pumpkinseed, Long Ears, and a couple of other species are quite colorful, but try to stay with something local.

Mosquitofish will survive anything that the Goldfish will survive. Neither one should be kept in a pond that is connected or even close to natural creeks or streams. Even a runoff from a pond to a stream is a hazard for accidental release.

Milliemae124
I am hoping to set up a small pond in my garden with some gold cloud mountain minnows. I have heard they do well in cold water

capecodder
Catfish are tough as nails or they're know as hornpout...sunfish, perch, bass...all should do okay

Lynn78too
The pond is only 2 to 3 feet deep? I agree, that sounds more like marshland or retention areas. If it's deeper, I would suggest bluegills but if it's only 2'-3' deep I can't think of too many that will be able to survive drought conditions.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BottomDweller
Replies
Views
Fishbro5
Replies
Views
Rabi619
Replies
Views