Fish For A Natural Pond??

sapphos

Reaction score
I recently obtained a piece of land with a couple natural ponds that I would like to stock. I am having trouble determining what fish will survive here. The area is zone 6B but I don't know what that means for the water temperature. The ponds are quite large (roughly 15' by 30') with an average depth of 2'-3'. It does seem to get cold but there were was a goldfish population added some 20 years ago and has survived the winters so it cant be that inhospitable. I am interested in adding mosquitofish, killifish, orfe, and sturgeon (like one, I am aware of how large they get). I am open to any suggestions. Has anyone had any success with other fish?

sapphos

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply but I forgot to add that I am interested in about anything other that goldfish and koi. I love them but I have already added more goldfish (for genetic diversity) but now I would like so variety if at all possible.

bruh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay. Mabye a surgeon would work. You could also add sunfish, bass, other kinds of carp (state legality does apply) or some cold water sucker fish. Mabye even minnows.

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Where are you located? Are you even allowed to just throw anything into a natural pond?

I only ask because I was in an environmental management class last semester and I had no idea the laws regarding wildlife are so strict here. Specifically ones involving any sort of wetland or introduction of species. I know I'll be reading tons of Acts and other pieces of legislation when I can finally have a pond just to make sure I'm not going to get myself in trouble.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NO STURGEON. Not a pond fish, ever. Most species are riverine and require current, with a couple of species living in big lakes. Those get extremely large, like 9-10 feet, maybe more.

Find out what species of Sunfish are native to your area. Pumpkinseed, Long Ears, and a couple of other species are quite colorful, but try to stay with something local.

Mosquitofish will survive anything that the Goldfish will survive. Neither one should be kept in a pond that is connected or even close to natural creeks or streams. Even a runoff from a pond to a stream is a hazard for accidental release.

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to set up a small pond in my garden with some gold cloud mountain minnows. I have heard they do well in cold water

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The pond is only 2 to 3 feet deep? I agree, that sounds more like marshland or retention areas. If it's deeper, I would suggest bluegills but if it's only 2'-3' deep I can't think of too many that will be able to survive drought conditions.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom