Fish for a 30 gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Catahoola, Jul 27, 2015.

1. C

Catahoola Valued Member Member

My tank currently has 5 guppies, 5 neon tetras, and a golden Chinese Algae Eater, but I was hoping to get a few more interesting fish or invertebrates in there. I'm planning on getting a couple Dalmatian mollies, any other suggestions for some easy to care for, cool looking fish? Preferably not schooling fish since I would prefer some larger (1.5"+ plus) ones and then there wouldn't be enough room. Maybe a Platy of some type?

Also, would an amber tetra school with the neon tetras? I'm assuming not since they are smaller than the neons... I have been eyeing them but don't exactly want a whole school. Thanks!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You need to rehome that Chinese algae eater asap. It will grow up to 10" or more and will become territories and aggressive as it grows older.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hi and welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Love your username, sounds so hip! :D

I'd get another neon tetra, to get the school up to it's proper number in order to be considered a "school".

The golden Chinese algae eater, tmk, won't work in your tank long term, as they can grow to be up to 11 inches.

Imo, I think a couple of Dalmatian mollies or platies would work, just make sure to get all one gender unless you want tons of fry. And be careful not to mix the genders of the mollies and guppies, as they can breed with each other.

Get others' opinions on your stocking though, as I'm no expert when it comes to calculating bioloads.

4. OP
    OP
    C

The people at the fish store told us the algae eater only gets up to 5" and the one site online that I looked at before we got it said the same and that 30 gallon is a fine size. Im actually not 100% sure it is a Chinese Algae Eater, they called it a Golden something (I want to say it had bottom feeder in the name). When I forgot the name and googled it, it looked exactly like a golden Chinese Algae Eater and then I found out that got up to 11" sooo I'm not sure if there is something that looks like a Chinese Algae Eater but is smaller or if the site/store was wrong? I'm going back to the store to get another tetra (one died) so I will see if they still have them and see what they called it. If it does get big I will take it back to the store. Thanks for the suggestions!

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have a pic?

6. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Valued Member Member

A gourami would be a great option!

+1 to rehoming the Chinese algae Eater if that's what he is.

7. OP
    OP
    C

Don't mind the bareness of the tank, this was right as we set it up and before we added some more things. On a side note, is that black fuzz anything to be worried about? Neither this guy or the pleco will eat it, I saw both of them go along that stem and skim over it. It doesn't bug me as long as it isn't potentially bad for the tank.

View attachment 174159

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice