Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Fish Food?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Goldmoon, Apr 21, 2019.

1. GoldmoonValued MemberMember

Hello everyone! I’m new here and I just had a question about this betta. We recently got him and he adjusted fine to his new tank. He is an active, healthy fish but he doesn’t seem to want to eat anything. The only thing he’ll eat is frozen bloodworms. We can’t get him to eat flake food at all. Any advice? I’d assume bloodworms can’t make up his entire diet, can they? Thanks in advance! IMG_0608.JPGIMG_0587.JPG

2. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!!!! He's GORGEOUS!!!

3. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Blood worms are very fatty and not very nutrition so no, they shouldn't be a main part of his diet, and as others have said its like eating cake all day!
    If he's only eating freeze dried or frozen foods you may want to try your hand at making your own food.
    Here is my little "recipe" that I use..

You can change how much it is veggie and meat wise, but it's a very nice balanced diet all fish love!
    You can also use what veggies you want too... Zucchini and other squashes work great, then just blend it all up, lay it in a flat baggy and freeze it, use as needed.
    I don't purely feed this, I still occasionally do a day where they dont get fed, where they only get meat or only veggies so it's more interesting.

These little packs of frozen foods can be bought at petco and places like it in the frozen food section.
    Mysis shrimp are one of my favorites, I also feed bug bites.

Sometimes to feed a stubborn betta you have to wait til they're hungry.. (No food two days or one day,) and then they'll eat when they want to lol

Attached Files:

4. GoldmoonValued MemberMember

I’ll have to give the recipe a try. He won’t eat for days and when we offer the flakes, he refuses to eat them. I’ve tried freeze dried foods but still nothing. Thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated!

5. SixThreeOhWell Known MemberMember

He'd be fine just eating bloodworms. You could try getting daphnia or scuds or frozen shrimp.

6. imbaWell Known MemberMember

Just fast your betta for a few days, even 1 week is ok. Beggars cant be choosers. Once he starts taking pellets and will realise that's food.

Feed bloodworms once or twice a week, and maybe add frozen daphnia into his diet. It's a good natural laxative for fish.

No need to add any sort of vege diet for bettas as they are carnivores

7. JoyceheatheringtonValued MemberMember

Georgeous!

8. GoldmoonValued MemberMember

Thank you!