Fish Food That Floats For Long Periods Of Time?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I dont mind feeding crickets to my african butterfly fish, but I do hate the smell of the cricket container and the dead crickets all the time. I do feed them flakes and tropical and cichlid bug bites, but they dont float for very long so they dont get much of a chance to get to them before it all starts to sink and everyone else gets them. The abf refuse to eat anything that isnt on the surface of the water.

Does anyone know of a good food that floats for at least a few minutes?

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wraithen said:
I dont mind feeding crickets to my african butterfly fish, but I do hate the smell of the cricket container and the dead crickets all the time. I do feed them flakes and tropical and cichlid bug bites, but they dont float for very long so they dont get much of a chance to get to them before it all starts to sink and everyone else gets them. The abf refuse to eat anything that isnt on the surface of the water.

Does anyone know of a good food that floats for at least a few minutes?
Tetra Cichlid pellets

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I feed my GWK mealworms eoiaw, to give her something. I've found that they don't die as quick, and they're easier to care for. They do float, and they have the movement.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feel your pain, halfbeaks are the same. For me flake works amazingly, as does freezedried foods. The flake im using is from new life spectrum, bit not sure if theres a difference?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lilabug4545 said:
I feed my GWK mealworms eoiaw, to give her something. I've found that they don't die as quick, and they're easier to care for. They do float, and they have the movement.
What's a GWK, and what is mealworms eoiaw? Is this something you buy locally or culture?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lilabug4545 said:
Gwk=golden wonder killifish
Eoiaw=every once in a while
Ah. When I had a golden wonder she ate everywhere. She started out staying near the surface, but after the Male committed suicide, she started hunting the entire tank.

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wraithen said:
Ah. When I had a golden wonder she ate everywhere. She started out staying near the surface, but after the Male committed suicide, she started hunting the entire tank.
I actually had a quad (three f, one m), but then two of the females ended up going to a friend of mine who lost hers, and the male died of old age around 2 years ago.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom