Fish Food SUCCESS !

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
While the forum was down today I spent my time making some fish food from one of the recipes posted this week....

I modified the one from Angels plus, using beef heart...

The modifications were due to the ingredients I had available, and several posts with Gozer and others that gave me the idea to include garlic and Omega 3's in the formula....

Well it turned out a lovely green goo.....which I pressed flat in zip-lock bags... and stuck in the freezer.

I put a tablespoonful in a separate plastic wrap and quick froze it...just took it out to try with the fish....

BOY oh BOY, They all loved it, maybe the garlic I don't know, but it didn't fall apart as I had worried, probably because of the gelatin...but all fish were fighting over it....I am hoping this is one way to up the nutrients in my fish food, and start cutting costs...

I'll let you all know how they do on it...

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Susitna flower
Sounds great! I'm interested to know how they like it... and if it works out for your guys, please be sure and post the recipe. I think that I would like to try a home made recipe for fish food and I'm curious to know how you made it.
Thanks, ~ kate

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The Recipe: (I only made a portion as not all ingredients were available)
2 fresh raw beef hearts
2 lbs. raw peeled shrimp
5 oz steamed spinach (I used frozen chopped)
1/4 lb cooked mashed carrots
1/4 lb krill powder (I omitted this)
1-2 oz. spirulina powder (I used 4 oz, found at a health food store
2 oz alfalfa powder (from health food store, leaf that I ground)
1/2 tsp vitamins ( I used ester-C human, and vita chem)
1 tsp Omega 3 fish oil
5 garlic cloves
6 TBL gelatin - I used more
Soften gelatin in boiling water, puree all moist ingredients must make thick as possible. Mix with powders and
Premium flake food (approx. 1 lb to make thick paste)

The shrimp can have fresh fish substituted, but shrimp help to firm the mixture.

Place mixture in large zip lock bags, flatten enough to be easily broken after frozen.

When I tested this, it broke easily in 1/4 x 1/4 inch pieces, when dropped into the tank frozen, the fish went after it immediately, what wasn't eaten by mid tank fish, was still in one piece when it made it to the bottom of the tank. All my fish ate it enthusiastically.

I feel this is a good answer to high fish food costs. I have to cut corners and will feel much better about cutting out those blood worms and brine shrimp....

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks for posting the recipe. It sounds fantastic. I wonder just how much this made tho? Must have been a lot of food! Guess that has to be the money saving part of the recipe. Those ingredients are expensive to begin with. And a lb of fish flakes.. around here has to go for well over 30 dollars easy. Add the health food ingredients.. raw shrimp.. well it sure would add up.
For myself.. its got to be cheaper in the long run for me to buy my frozen foods. I know that up in Alaska the prices for things are much more expensive than around here. I can buy a block of frozen bloodworms for under 5 dollars, brine shrimp under 5 dollars.. and it lasts awhile for me.
But for those that like to make a home made fish food that has wonderful vitamins and wholesome ingredients, you have a great recipe there.;D

Narcicius

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
that is a lot of stuff, I'd rather just stick to mroe traditional methods.

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi!

I'm wondering how much it cost? How much does it make?

Calamity Jane

Reaction score
I'd be afraid to ask for the fresh raw beef hearts at the grocery store! LOL, they'd look at me like I was crazy.

Just curious, how much did it cost to make that? It sounds very healthy and good for the fishies

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, the veges and powders came to about $10.00

The beef heart was about $1.50/lb , the shrimp about $5.00/lb...

When I buy bloodworms it costs $8.50 for 7 oz. which is less than 1/2 of a pound....I never get out of the fish store with food for less than $50.00......

So even though a batch will cost you 20 or 30$....it produces 5 or 6 lbs of food at the cost of about $2.50 for 1/2 lb....so it is a huge savings....It will last a long time. What I made could easily have filled 18 gallon ziplocks flattened out. I didn't spread it as thin as I will next time. It is a little hard to break off. I have to break off a chunk and let it thaw to feed so I can make smaller chunks...but the gelatin keeps it together and even thawed it is easy to feed....

Calamity Jane

Reaction score
That's not too bad considering it makes 5-6 lbs. I may try that. Thanks!!

ricklb58

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a good receipe and this one sounds great but I need to know where you were able to find the beef heart? All the stores even meat markets here in central Illinois say they can no longer get beef heart or beef brains for that matter because of mad cow. I have read you can use beef liver instead but that it clouds the water much more.
Would love to make this receipe and try it out if I could just find the beef heart.
Ricklb58

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads