Fish Food Questions Help 

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello everyone!

I currently have 4 zebra danios. Ever since Iv had them they have been eating the same flake food ''Aqueon Tropical Flakes''. I actually didn't even pick it out, when my danios were purchased the pet store worker told my rent to but it to feed them. They eat it just great but then again I guess Zebra Danios are not the pickiest of eaters lol.

Do you all think this is a decent flake food?

I also have goldfish flakes, pellets and algae wafers that came with the tank (previous owner had these) I haven't used them except dropping a wafer once to see what they would do and to try to get a picture of them.

Other foods Iv heard allot about are bloodworms and shrimp pellets I think they were called. They are foods Iv been considering getting. Iv heard they are just for like treats is this right? Aren't they frozen, how would you feed just a small amount? The bloodworms I seen in the store looked like a big frozen block.

What do you think the best diet is for like a community tank should I always feed flakes and do other things as treats? Should I change flakes from time to time? Even though I just have the danios right now Id like to give them the best I can...Iv grown really fond of them and feel like they are a misunderstood fish that deserves a good life too! lol

Also Iv heard that the average fish stomach is the size of their eye...my danios eys are pretty small..That being said that doesn't tell me whats the correct amount to give them...One piece each, each on being the size of their eye?? One a day? Or more? Iv been getting a small pinch of flakes that are very small and broken up already and grinding it a bit and dropping it in. Its all gone in mere seconds...usually 2 times a day...I almost feel like I should give them more sometimes but then I think noooo that would be overfeeding....??

Also should I not feed my fish for a whole day everyonce in a while? Is this healthy, beneficial or just for if you feed to much the day before??

I think in the beginning I def over feed them because I read the directions that said ''Feed several times daily in small amounts that will be consumed by fish within three minutes.'' but It didn't take long to figure out to do less.

I will most likey have something else in the tank in the future but I guess I figure out how to feed what ever it is when I know what ever it is.

Allot of questions but I want to do whats best for the fish, I don't want to over feed them but I don't want to underfeed them either.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's nice..guess I'll just got to the store and pick out what looks best.
I suppose with some experimentation I will find what's right.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FLGirl said:
That's nice..guess I'll just got to the store and pick out what looks best.
I suppose with some experimentation I will find what's right.
Just pick out high quality foods.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok....er...thanks?.....Like I said guess I will just go to the store and pick out what looks best.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feed the 5 gallon and 20 gallon flakes in the morning. The 37g gets flakes and either shrimp pellets or algae wafers for the corys. At night I alternate between frozen brine shrimp/spirulina cubes (sea monkey night! ) and veggies, usually green peas.

I don't think any harm will come from trying to feed your danios any of the stuff you have. You can certainly buy a different kind of flake each time you run out to switch things up a bit. But don't forget veggies! You can also use nori, the seaweed used to make sushi, to get the veggies in.

-Lisa

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FLGirl said:
Ok....er...thanks?.....Like I said guess I will just go to the store and pick out what looks best.
Sorry....hikari is an excellent choice

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Their stomach is about the size of their eyeball, you were correct. They really don't need much. I crumble up a piece of a flake pretty small for my danios.

Don't let them fool you into overfeeding them.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know it's very tempting! It's gone so fast..but over feeding won't be good for them... I will keep an eye out for that brand Jaysee I haven't really looked around at all the different foods around here yet. I did do a search for high quality food and found this that I'm reading now. Maybe it's because I'm on sn iPod but it's long so I haven't finished yet..

maybe it will help me to know what exactly is high quality.. =P

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I find the Omega One brand to be very high quality. Most brands use fish meal, which is ground up fish leftovers, but Omega one uses the whole fish (juts like what me or you would eat, only in flake form). there website is https://www.omegasea.net

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads