Fish flashing

Mistacliff

I bought 4 heckelii and 1 yellow zebra pleco from my lfs. I know they do a 10 day quarantine before they will sell and I also know that these heckelii were in the tank to sell for at least a week before I bought them.
I brought these guys home and put them into quarantine. I started my initial qt with a single packet of paracleanse, a single packet of maracyn, and a single dose of ich x.
On day 3 I noticed one of the heckelii started flashing a lot so I continued the paracleanse treatment.
On day 5 the one heckelii was dead.
On day 7 or 8 I saw another heckelii starting the flashing behavior so I began the full treatment of both paracleanse and maracyn.
On day 3 after starting those meds the yellow zebra was dead but the flashing had stopped.
One week after finishing the meds everyone seemed healthy, no flashing, eating well, so I moved them to the main tank.
Day 2 in the main tank I just saw one of the heckelii flash twice. I’ve been watching and it isn’t really consistent, the two times were separated by 5 or 10 minutes.
Should I be concerned?
Should I dose the main tank instantly?
What would I dose with?
There are absolutely zero signs of ich on any of the fish.

richiep

Hi first off mixing meds is not a good thing and it's quite possible you fish died because of this,
When you put fish into a quarantine tank its purely to treat any existing problems, or, fish you buy in are quarantined to give them time to see if there's a underlying problems then treat if if the fish are infected,
Never try and treat for something that's not there
Don't dose the main tank until something shows
Fish are known to flash just after water changes but dosnt last long and not all do it.

Upvote 0

Mistacliff

New update to this situation, the heckelii have seemed fine. Everyone seemed fine except for the occasional flash of a fish here or there.
Yesterday I noticed one of my silver dollars flashing frequently and it has continued today. It has been enough that he now has a red spot on each side from flashing so much.
Should I be trying to treat for something at this point?
There are no signs of ich on any of the fish and nothing new has gone in the tank

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
Chrisfish7887
Replies
Views
pagoda
Replies