Fish Flashing / Scratching On Substrate And Objects...pls Help!!! Question

1. Joseph Karthic Initiate Member

Hello,

I have small kenyi cichlids in 32 gallon tank...every now and then the fishes seems like scratching their sides on sand or leaves or on filter intakes...the tank is cycled.

Nitrates are 10 or 20ppm..

Water source is fresh ground water(only source i have) ph is 8.2 and not sure about hardness level but im sure its high bcoz when i soap my hands in the water the soap immediately clears off..

All fishes do that..its like something in the water that irritates them..I dont smell chlorine since its directly from the ground..I used prime before but its the same..I added 22 drops for 11 gallon when doing partial water change..bcoz im advised to dose 2 drops per gallon..IS that right?

Also should i age the water after adding prime? if so how long? Or will it be ok if i age the water without prime for 3-4 days?

Could heavy metals like Iron cause this?

Or Could it be bcoz of the stray voltage? I dont feel any current in the water ... What could be the reason? its really frustrating to see the fishes suffer and i have no idea why...Please help..

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Fish often flash because of disease. Your tank is also a little small, and stress and crowding can encourage infections.

Yes, you are using Prime correctly. You do not need to age the water. Prime removes heavy metals, so I doubt that's the issue.

3. Demeter Well Known Member Member

I went through something similar and it seemed to be skin flukes or something similar. They are pretty hard to see and it looks similar to ich. For my Africans it looked like pimple-ish white spots, where the scales are slightly raised around them. I dosed API general cure, then Tetra parasite guard and things have cleared up and I haven't had issues since.

Take some pictures of the fish and try making them clear as you can. There are several diseases that can cause the fish to flask.

Aging the water isn't necessary as you are adding prime.

4. Joseph Karthic Initiate Member

Thanks for the replies, But the fishes are thriving and eating well...I couldnt see anything in the scales...Ive had german blue rams, angels, dwarf gourami before kenyi cichlids and they also does the same but no disease i could think of...so im pretty sure its something with my water content(metals) or the internal filter which passes stray current.

So are you suggesting i can add the water immediately treating with prime?

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Something is itching them. If it isn't water then parasites are causing it. Ich and flukes seem to be the main causes. For ich malachite green does the job (careful with scaleless fish) while Praziquantel destroys the flukes.

Gill flukes are impossible to see unless you take a gill sample by the way.

6. Joseph Karthic Initiate Member

But for ich and flukes there has to be something visible on the body right..there is nothing and all fish are hyper active when feeding and thriving in the tank...but only occasionally it does that...thats what confuses me...

7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Check my edit. Gill flukes measure around 1mm and can't be easily seen.
    I had a group of corydoras pygmaeus which used to flash everyone now and then just like your fish . Since I had some General Cure (has the Praziquantel I mentioned) hanging around I decided to use it. I did 3 rounds. One round every 2 days and 50% water changes in between dosages. I have not seen any flashing since the treatment was completed.

I don't like meds, I believe in giving good conditions to the fish and letting them fight off disease however I would try it out. Praziquantel is soft on the fish and doesn't damage anything except worms.