Fish Flashing/laboured Breathing

1. C

Charlaboo Member Member

What would cause laboured breathing and flashing in a tank with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites <20 ppm nitrate? A few fish are breathing heavily and rubbing themselves against decorations, there are no visible signs of ich or velvet. This tank is cleaned/water changed weekly, I'm at a loss as to why some are itchy and suffocating

2. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Dosed anything into the tank? Did you do a water change and forget the dechlorinater?

3. OP
    OP
    C

Charlaboo Member Member

Good thought, but no, I definitely dosed the correct amount of Prime during the water change. A few days ago after a water change fish in 3 different tanks showed signs of hypoxia and died .. I thought I might have dosed too much aqua safe plus, which has a slime coat thing in it, I thought too much of that might have caused breathing problems.. so I did a new water change using only prime, and here I am days later, with two different fish showing signs of laboured breathing and flashing again. I can't figure out why fish in a healthy, clean tank ( which also has double filters and an air stone) would be acting like they don't have enough oxygen

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Could possible be external parasites causing the behavior.

5. OP
    OP
    C

Charlaboo Member Member

Another of my fish just died .. I've lost 3 angelfish now and a kribensis is also dying. When I removed the angelfish I noticed he was much more slimy than normal. I'm treating with prazipro hoping it's some kind of parasite .. don't know what else to do

6. Shellback

Shellback Initiate Member

Sorry to hear that your fish are having a hard time. I'm new at this so don't have any good suggestions. Don't give up, things will eventually work out for you and the fish. Cheers.

7. OP
    OP
    C

Charlaboo Member Member

I've treated with prazipro and since last night I've lost one more fish and another is still alive but breathing very rapidly, everyone else seems fine.. still 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and less than 20 ppm nitrate. The last time we went through this everyone seemed fine until a couple days later more fish showed up with laboured breathing. I'm still trying to figure out the root cause, I'm afraid whatever it is will spread to the rest of my tank. Is there a medication that can treat bacterial/parasitic infections and potential eggs all in one shot?

I've had an issue which has affected 2 out of 4 of my tanks .. a fish will show signs of laboured breathing and then within a day or two die. The fish who have died seem to have more of a slime coat than normal. Water quality is excellent 0 ammonia 0 nitrites less than 20 ppm nitrate.. thought it might be a parasite dosed with prazipro.. after a few days everyone seemed happy.. then this thing started again, laboured breathing, followed by death. Ideas?

8. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Member Member

I’ve had problems with labored breathing as well. My apistos had a terrible case of camallanus worms. After two treatments of levamisole, they seemed better. Then the labored breathing started. Water quality was good, they weren’t at the top of the tank so it wasn’t low oxygen. I didn’t see any parasites. O think my issue may be a bacterial infection brought on by leftover paralyzed worms in their body. I’ve been treating with Paraguard and feeding them food soaked in garlic. So far, one died, one still looks terrible, and one looks decent.

So, that doesn’t sound like the same issue as your fish but maybe it is something internal that can’t be seen. Have you done any autopsies? You could look in the gills for parasites. It’s best to do it as soon as you find the deceased fish because gill parasites will still be alive.

I’m not sure if you can use Prazipro as a bath, but the Paraguard bath i gave the apistos seemed to help the one get to being decent. I left them in for 45 min instead of an hour since it seemed to stress them out. They were not happy afterwards but by the next day, one of them was much more chipper.

9. OP
    OP
    C

Charlaboo Member Member

I actually just discovered another fish- who happens to be an apistogramma having this problem.. one side of the gills is red, laboured breathing, erratic swimming.. I did open up the gills of my angel fish when he died I couldn't see any parasites with the naked eye.. whatever it is seems to be spreading and that entire tank already went through a prazipro treatment so.. maybe it isn't a parasite.. I've lost 7 fish in the last few days this is getting so depressing

10. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Have any pictures?

11. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Several threads have been merged

12. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Member Member

I’m sorry for your losses. It is especially frustrating when you don’t know the cause of it. Could it be a bacterial infection?

After doing more research, (thank you @Goldiemom for sharing that article!) I think it may be a bacterial gill disease. I am by no means an expert, but based on what i have read i think that may be the culprit. The symptoms are labored breathing, loss of energy, and bright red gills. I am going out to buy some API T.C. Tetracylcine to hopefully save my one apisto.

13. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Prayers for you and your fishy.

14. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Member Member

15. OP
    OP
    C

Charlaboo Member Member

Thanks very much for the help.. I just tried a round of prazipro and it didn't seem to help, so now my lfs sold me metro which they said will kill any bacterial infection.. let's hope! What's weird is that since the tanks became sick I haven't been feeling well either .. lol let's hope that's just a coincidence

16. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Member Member

When my fish are sick i don’t feel well emotionally, which can affect me physically. I hope the metro works! Have you used garlic guard before? Seachem makes it. It’s straight garlic juice that you soak food in. Oddly, fish love it. Garlic is high in allicins which boost the immune systems of humans and fish alike. I feed it to my fish reguarly, moreso when they are sick. It may be worth checking out to give them an extra boost.

17. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I fed all of mine baby brine shrimp soaked in Garlic Guard just tonight. They love it. Trying to boost the immune system in my Goldie that had eye injury. I agree that it helps.

18. OP
    OP
    C

Charlaboo Member Member

So I think (maybe) I may have found an answer to all of this. We have a huge castle decoration, and because we wanted more room on the floor of the tank, we put a shelf underneath it. The shelf was supposed to be stainless steel. After driving myself nuts trying to figure out why everyone is getting sick, I lifted the castle up and the supposed "stainless steel" shelf is peeling, cracking and rusted :( my poor fish have been poisoned by this metal.. I took it out and did a 30% water change .. hopefully they can recover if I keep doing 20-30% water changes every couple of days but I wonder if they might all be permanently affected :(. This cheap knockoff shelf has caused so much misery. The tag said stainless steel.. freaking false advertising.

I don't think I've ever realized before how much the fish affect me .. I haven't been able to focus on anything else for the last couple days.. I do actually have some garlic guard I'll make sure to add it to their food maybe that will help them recover

19. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Member Member

Geez, that sucks, but i am glad you found the culprit! I hope your fish can recover. you could do multiple water changes a day to get that stuff out. More water changes may put more stress on the fish, but i think it’s more important to clear the water of whatever substances are in it.

20. OP
    OP
    C

Charlaboo Member Member

Some of the fish seem better already, hopefully they'll all do ok.. I'm kicking myself so hard for not noticing this sooner .. 9 fish dead :( lesson learned