Fish flashing help? Not ick

Fishmedguy

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here as I am confused as to what is going on in my 20 gallon tank! It's a nice planted 20 gallon with 8 cpds, 10 pygmy cories and a female Betta. Just over a week ago I noticed my fish flashing. I'm in Canada and all fish meds are banned unless going to a vet, which I cannot afford at the moment. So I bought malachite green in hopes that it would work, dosed and did 25% water changes daily for 5 days as instructed. The fish are still flashing . It only happens seldomly. It's not constant and I'm wondering if it's possible that it's something that isn't parasites? No signs of illness, all fish look healthy, and have massive appetites. No clamped fins, no scars or marks, nothing I can physically see on the fish. Gills look okay too. Is it possible something may be causing them discomfort? Could it be chlorine or chloramine? I use Seachem prime as a conditioner. Could it also be my heater shocking them or something? I've heard that's possible. I am just to at a loss and am ready to give up. I just want the fish to be healthy. Current parameters that I know are as follows :

Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 5 (since I've been doing daily 25% because of meds and have lots of plants)
Ph : 7.4
20 gallon high tank with a sponge filter and HOB filter rated for 30 gallons. In desparate need of advice. Thank you in advance

Attachments

Best Answer - View Kjeldsen's answer

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome, and nice tank. Flashing isn't always about a parasite. In fact in Burgess, Bailey & Exell's A-Z of Tropical Fish Health they list water parameters as the most common cause for repeated flashing. Yours are perfect,
however, particulate matter suspended in the water is mentioned next, though I doubt that as well from your picture. They sound healthy which may be keeping something at bay, but I'm surprised that the malachite green didn't help. Could it be something with the plants or fertilizer? Sorry I'm no help but giving this a bump for others out there.

OP
F

Fishmedguy

Reaction score
Kjeldsen said:
Welcome, and nice tank. Flashing isn't always about a parasite. In fact in Burgess, Bailey & Exell's A-Z of Tropical Fish Health they list water parameters as the most common cause for repeated flashing. Yours are perfect,
however, particulate matter suspended in the water is mentioned next, though I doubt that as well from your picture. They sound healthy which may be keeping something at bay, but I'm surprised that the malachite green didn't help. Could it be something with the plants or fertilizer? Sorry I'm no help but giving this a bump for others out there.
hello ! Thank you! It could be, I'm using Easy green fertilizer from aquarium co op. The only other thing I use is Seachem prime and Seachem Stressguard. So I'm not too sure. They flashed during the malachite green treatment too and I'm just baffled as to what it could be. Is it possible that it could be an internal parasite ? I've seen some fluffy white poop but again, it isn't consistent. I feed most of the fish Thera A .5mm pellets, and Fluval Bug bites and such. I also sometimes feed raw garlic in little tiny pieces because I hear it's good for them. Someone told me the heater could possibly be shocking them. I've thought about turning it off for a half our to see if that's the case but I don't want to stress them out. The plants I have are Guppy grass, different anubias, java fern, elodea densa, Christmas moss, siamensis 53b, bacopa compact and reinecki pink. Those are my main things. I get them from a trusted source that is pest free.. I am truly baffled by this. I wish I had access to proper medication like the US does.

MissPanda

Well Known
Reaction score
Could it be gill flukes ? I don't think flukes is visible to the eyes other than when it gets bad their gills get reddish. You could google flukes and see if your fishes symptoms match that. Sorry I'm not an expert in fish disease, but I know they flash with flukes.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom